Google Plus causes data overage
HawkMultimedia

Hi, we just added our son to our plan at the end of May and have been watching our data usage closely since he ate up over half of it in the first week of having the phone. His mobile data usage has been off since. We were out of state visiting family this past week, so I've been checking it regularly and as of 7/26 we had used just over half. The next morning on the drive back, I got a text which I didn't answer because I was driving, then got two more ten minutes later. My wife looked and saw they were data notices. We checked my son's phone, his data was still off. Mine had been sitting there while I was driving, which left my wife's. She saw that Google Plus was doing some background transfer and was the culpript even though she didn't have the app open! We immediately turned off mobile data on both phones and she found where to turn off the background transfer for apps. 

Reasons I'm miffed:

1. She hadn't setup Google plus to transfer in the background, especially when on MOBILE DATA. So, this had to have been a default setting on the S5.

2. How the hell could it have transferred 1.3GB in LESS THAN TEN MINUTES when driving on I-65 in rural KY?! I know your coverage is good, but really??

3. When I add up the data logs of all three lines on the plan, they only add up to 1.5GB, with usage stopping at the exact time we both turned off our mobile data?! I've seen where it takes 24-72 hours for the logs to update, but find it odd that the log information stops when we turned mobile data off, and it does show significant usage for her line at that time, but nowhere near 1.5GB worth.I haven't called or tried to open a chat yet, because I'm waiting for the 72 hours to expired just so that's not an excuse.

Ideally I'd like to get the overage taken off and bandwidth restored back to where it was Saturday night. Our data doesn't restart until 8/7, and we would've been fine had it not been for that stupid app. Of course, I don't hold out much hope.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Google Plus causes data overage
AZSALUKI
Legend

just an fyi....google+ has a feature to backup all of your photos. it is not on by default. the first time you open the app it asks you if you want to do this. if your wife mistakenly touched the yes box, then it would (at some point) backup up all pics and videos, which could easily be 1+ gigs.

0 Likes
Re: Google Plus causes data overage
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are also settings within the photo backup to force the backup over a wifi connection, but I don't remember if that was the default setting.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes