Google Play Services is killing my battery since last update
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since the update a week or so ago (sorry bad with time here LOL) I have been getting horrible battery life. I might get 8 hours if I barely use the phone. If I use it a lot, we're talking 5.5 hours before my battery is totally dead. This is after I put it on the charger for about an hour, but as you can see the charge was under 10% when I started charging it.

Screenshot_2014-10-18-21-15-02.png

I checked out my battery usage, and this is what is shows me.

Screenshot_2014-10-18-21-15-25.png

Google Play Services is pulling a huge drain, when previously my Android system was pulling the most with Words With Friends coming in second at about 5%. Sorry, I don't have a screen grab of its previous performance.

I've searched all over the internet and most things say to turn off location services. I have mine off and it has been turned off, and I've turned off auto-updates as well though no idea if that will make a difference.

Any suggestions of what to try here? I don't always get to plug my phone in after 4 hours just to hopefully get through the day.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Google Play Services is killing my battery since last update
Tidbits
Legend

Wait for a fix from Google they are aware of the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Wait for a fix from Google they are aware of the problem.

0 Likes
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not the answer I was hoping for, but seems to be the one that will prove the only one. Wait and see. 😕 When my phone upgraded to 4.2 last year it had a similar issue which lasted about three weeks before suddenly rectifying itself. *sigh*

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That was Google updating Google Play services.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Try clearing cache for Maps, opening maps and letting it get a fix on your location then turn close maps, and see if that fixes the problem.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

This is the Latest Update I have Tidbits 6.1.74 (1511752-036 ) this came I think 3 days ago.. Only issue I'm having with my phone my Droid Maxx it has mind of it's own with Touchless Control.. this happened after some apps update on there own before I could get them to stop.! b

0 Likes
B33
Legend

To Add:

As for Google Play Services to me is doing ok  The OP might ought to try this app for monitoring the phones functions I've used it for the last 5 years it's called System Panel App I'll provide a Link if the OP is interested in the App this app is free and without ads it is $2.99

Hope that Helps:

SystemPanel App / Task Manager - Android Apps on Google Play

0 Likes
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tidbits, I'm not sure if your suggestion helped or if there was an update to fix things while I slept last night, but here is where things stand today. I did implement your suggestion, though I am pretty sue I have never even opened the map app at any points before. As you can see, Android system is taking up most of the battery usage like it should be.

Screenshot_2014-10-19-20-23-18.png

And now with even more time on the battery, I've got way more charge than I did yesterday. I was down to about 9% at about 7 hours yesterday. My usage of the phone is similar to yesterday as well.

Screenshot_2014-10-19-20-23-26.png

Hopefully this stays fixed, whatever it was. Having a phone that does pretty much everything isn't terribly useful if you have to plug it in all the time! LOL

Tidbits
Legend

I don't know what it was but it fixes it for a lot of people just opening maps and letting it lock on once. It worked for a lot on Google groups.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Tidbits is what I posted the Corrected the Google Play Services App.. Just wanted to make sure.! 

0 Likes