Google Nexus 5?
Tidbits
Legend

My point being the Nexus 4 was prices as such BY the manufacturer which matched similar spec'd devices at that time of release.  Just look at unsubsidized prices around the world for the Nexus 5.  Places that have the Play Store most places outside will not sell the device due to the fact they can't compete with the subsidization from Google.  You don't think Google makes billions of dollars off Android?  The data you give is worth the few hundreds they subsidize for these devices.  The more people who use Android the more they make.  Like you said Google model is exactly the same gaming industry.  We can't forget the amount of developers who develop for Android and them throwing in $25(last I remember) per year to keep their apps in the store. 

Yes it's Verizon that is blocking it, and it's their choice to allow what they want.  I also agree with Verizon's stance on the matter.  If they are going to be blamed for things they have no control over we won't allow the devices on our network.  Looking at AT&T and T-Mobile boards and the problems some BYOD devices are having, and people who don't understand technology(which is the majority) always blame them.  It is what it is.  I would like devices to be unlocked and unbranded.  That's what I liked to buy and buy often(Job requires me to).  Though only Verizon is the only branded devices I buy.  I know my tech, and I know who to blame when things don't go like they should.  Sadly I am part of the minority.

0 Likes
Re: Google Nexus 5?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 700 MHz frequency (band 13) used by Verizon Wireless isn't available on the Nexus 5. The CDMA radios aren't setup to work on the Verizon Wireless network either.

Google decided which radio frequencies it would support. Even if they had intended for it to be compatible with the Verizon Wireless network, the final product doesn't reflect it nor is it certified by Verizon Wireless as compatible.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

divesharc wrote:

I agree about the price of the plan not going down.  However, Verizon and the like are NOT paying the manufacturers full retail price for these phones.  They negotiate the price in bulk.  If Verizon actually sold the phone to you or I for the same price they pay for it, then your point would make total sense.  However, they want to show you and I the full retail price to discourage us from buying our phones outright, because 1) they do make some money off of them and 2) they get you locked back into another 2 year contract.

Google is still making money off of selling their phones, and they are offering the nexus 5 for $329, and it's the same basic phone as the LG G2.  Verizon make some money, locks you into a contract, AND they don't reduce your plan price after you pay it off.

That said, Verizon still has better service than most of the other carriers, but it really bothers me that they are strong arming Google into not making the Nexus available for Verizon.  I think you should be able to use any phone that you want, and Verizon can even tell you that if you have a problem with the phone, we don't support it short of getting it registered on our network.

I travel internationally a lot, and will probably move overseas in the next year or so.  I don't want to get locked into another 2 year contract, and potentially have my new phone NOT work in the country I move to.  That's what makes the Nexus so attractive to me, and it is frustrating that the hardware will do it, but Verizon doesn't want it so those features are not enabled.

I wanted to add.. The Nexus 5 is based off the G2.  However... They are farther from the same device.

Nexus 5 like I said is being sold for MORE than what Google is selling them from LG.  T-Mobile sells the Nexus 4, and Nexus 5 at the cost they purchased from LG which is $480.  It doesn't have certain things the G2 does like SDcard slot(which is a $50 royalty/licensing to microsoft), and it has a cheaper camera, and a lower licensing cost.  G2 has a larger battery, More software, and probably more R&D costs to LG than the Nexus 5.

0 Likes
No_5moking
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would LOVE Verizon even more if we were allowed to use ANY phone WE wanted. While I understand support might be an issue. It can be an easy fix... Only support the phones bought directly from Verizon with the Verizon logo on the phone.. If you buy somewhere else (or the phone doesn't have the logo), it's not supported and you're on your own. It's really that simple. Put it in the TSO and be done with it. I would guess that 90 to 99% of people buy directly from Verizon, so it's only going to affect the "power users" which probably don't need their support anyway.

If a phone has the hardware to use Verizon's network.. that's all that should matter.

Tidbits
Legend

Go to T-Mobile forums and remember their BYOD. Non techies will buy phones because they are cheap and don't realize certain things may or may not work... They blame T-Mobile all the time. T-Mobile is FORCED to support those devices.

0 Likes
No_5moking
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's all about educating new (and existing) customers. Add a short, separate document that states very simply, " Any device purchased outside of Verizon's website or Store Front is not supported. Any support issues should be directed to the manufacture or store from which you purchased the device. " that they must sign.

Put up disclaimers everywhere, people will get the hint sooner or later.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

And how often do people read disclaimers? I mean seriously T-Mobile says that EVERY time. Yet read their forums. They got it rough. Techies know better, but non techies don't.

0 Likes
holykrp
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is on all of the other major networks. Verizon used to have all of the best phones and great service, and that is why I stuck with them for so long (about 10 years). But, now they literally do not have a single phone I want. My phone quickly went to crap after using it for several months and is barely hanging in there. So I bought an unlocked Nexus 5 assuming it would work. Obviously it doesn't. Leave the phone or leave the network? I'm pretty upset about my lack of options with Verizon, and I don't think their service is any better than other carriers (in fact, I went to Vegas recently and my friend, who has a local network from Cincinnati and recently moved to Vegas, had better service than I did). So, I'll probably leave when my contract's up and go to a network that is smart enough to offer compatibility with the best phones.

roc1383
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been a Verizon customer for over 6 years.  OUr contracts expired at the end of NOvember.  I will be buying 2 Nexus 5 phones this month.  If I can add them to the Verizon network, I will consider staying with Verizon's service.  Otherwise, we are going to join a month-to-month carrier like T-Mobile or Ting.  

Tidbits
Legend

That's what you have to do. Verizon isn't carrying the Nexus 5.