Getting Weak Signal and sometimes No Signal at all with Note 3
Tuna
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I search the coverage map for 4g on the verizon page, it shows signal as very strong (Dark Red color) for both my home and work location however I am constantly getting 3g instead. My home zip code is 95758 and my work zip code is 95833. I am experiencing very weak signal at work and often times no signal at all. My texts will sometimes send and sometimes it will be pending while searching for signals. Calls will occasionally drop due to the weak signal.. What can I do to increase my signal strength? I am growing weary of waiting for the phone to find a signal..

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Getting Weak Signal and sometimes No Signal at all with Note 3
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried a new SIM card?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tuna
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have not tried that yet. Do I have to visit a store to get one or is there a way for them to mail one upon request?

0 Likes
kay_dee_gee
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are u sure ur in LTE/CDMA mode?? My Note3 does the same thing ur saying if it's in "GLOBAL" mode.

Go to Settings/More settings/Mobile Networks/Network Mode

You can change it from there.. Do a restart if it doesn't immediately get better. But then make sure after restart that it's still in LTE/CDMA mode.

If u ever get into a weak signal area or steel building with weak VZW coverage - ur phone will ask to switch to Global. It IS helpful when in area with no VZW towers..

0 Likes
Tuna
Enthusiast - Level 3

@kay_dee_gee Yes I have tried this. I'm currently on CDMA/LTE/EVDO mode and the problem still exists. Smiley Sad I read on another thread that mentions updating the PRL..

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

To answer several of the above ... updating the PRL should occur automatically, but try this ... turn off the phone, remove the SIM card (be careful not to touch the gold contacts), wait a few minutes, then reinsert the SIM card, turn the phone back on, and wait a few minutes for a fresh network connection to be established.  If that doesn't help, as Ann154 suggested, try a new SIM card ... they're free at your local Corporate VzW store or you can call Customer Service and have one mailed to you.

Tuna
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks! I have not heard of this method yet. I will give this a try now. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Normally the SIM card will update the PRL automatically whenever you power off the phone, but sometimes it helps to remove the SIM card and 'force' an update if one is available.  Hopefully this will help.

Also, if you haven't removed the SIM card before, it can be a bear in the Note 3.  I suggest using the tool that came with the phone that's for removing the tips on the S pen (it looks like a small tweezer).  Use the scissor edge underneath the SIM card (just enough to grab it, so you won't damage the contacts) and then squeeze it together enough to pull the card out (unlike a lot of other SIM cards, it doesn't pop out by pressing it in).

Tuna
Enthusiast - Level 3

Haha, yes I'm well aware of the SIM on the Note 3. I had to remove it a few times when switching the device to my sister to let her give it a test run for a week. Although I did not think to use the tweezer tool.. very clever.

Update: So after removing the SIM card for a few minutes and then reinserting it and powering the device back on. The signal strength is still 1-2 bars and running 3G.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hopefully a new SIM card will help.

0 Likes