Games Crashing on Galaxy S6
steventhewilson

I got a new Galaxy S6 through Verizon about two months ago.  I love playing games on my phone, so I got it for its fast processor, and I got the 64GB so I'd have plenty of space.

Well, I downloaded a bunch of initial apps, and everything was going fine.  Then, suddenly one day I woke up and my Spider-Man Unlimited game stopped working, but only specifically when connected to Wifi or 4G.  It just instantly crashes.  Also, when playing my Crossy Road game, the System UI randomly crashes, which can't be good.

They both happened around the same time, but I do not think it happened after a major system update or anything, and I have had system and app updates since, and they have not fixed the problem.

I've talked with the Spider-Man Unlimited tech support for about a month now, and they have not been any help.  I've tried troubleshooting on my own (uninstalling and reinstalling Spider-Man Unlimited, uninstalling other apps to free up memory, clearing caches, etc).  I also tried looking at the crash logs, but while I am a software tester, I have not done any mobile development before.

Like I said, I have a Verizon Galaxy S6 running the latest version of Android and latest version of all of my apps.  Do have any idea what's wrong or how I could troubleshoot it?

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Games Crashing on Galaxy S6
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to put a stop to all this application crashing once and for all, steventhewilson. Are you able to use these application when not connected to any Data? Did you notice this happening after installing another application that might not be compatible? Is the only issue you are having related to these 2 applications? You have done all the troubleshooting steps available for these applications http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/galaxy-s-6-troubleshooting-app/ . What did the application developers advised you to do?

JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to put a stop to all this application crashing once and for all, steventhewilson. Are you able to use these application when not connected to any Data? Did you notice this happening after installing another application that might not be compatible? Is the only issue you are having related to these 2 applications? You have done all the troubleshooting steps available for these applications http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/galaxy-s-6-troubleshooting-app/ . What did the application developers advised you to do?

JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

safe mode but you may need a full backup and factory data reset

0 Likes
steventhewilson

It's a really weird issue, actually.  The game does technically run when I have Wifi and 4G both disabled at the same time, but there is honestly not much of the game that you can play offline.  That, and since I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, I do not have all of my progress that I had saved.  It's all still floating around on the cloud.  As soon as I connect to Wifi OR 4G and play the game, it crashes after it is done loading the main screen (as soon as it tries to fetch all of the leaderboards/events from the game's servers).

This issue cropped up literally overnight.  I played this game daily, and I played it one day and it was fine.  Then, I opened it up the next morning to check one of the event's progress, and the game just crashed.  I know for a fact that there was not an update from Verizon or for the Android system in general that night.  I also know that there were no updates for Spider-Man Unlimited itself either.  Unfortunately, I do not remember for certain which other apps might have updated in those 12 hours, or which apps I might have downloaded during that time.

In troubleshooting, I have tried:

- uninstalling and reinstalling the Spider-Man Unlimited and Crossy Road apps (the two that consistently give me crashing problems)

- uninstalling every new app I had installed since the problem started (mainly some travel apps for the vacation I took)

- uninstalling some additional apps that took a lot of background resources (Facebook, Facebook Messenger, and Nova Launcher, to name a couple)

- clearing the system caches

- attempting to start the apps immediately after restarting my phone

- applying new system and app updates that have become available since the problem arose

None of the above have helped at all.  I also submitted the crash logs from the Spider-Man Unlimited app to the Spider-Man Unlimited support team.  They have only suggested some of the general troubleshooting tips above, and did not respond to my crash log.  They have gotten to a point now where they have nothing else to suggest, it seems.

0 Likes