Galaxy S4 randomly rebooting after VRUFNG6 update!
Ray_Sir
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone worked fine before update.  Now it updates on average every hour. 

Yes- there's lots of customization, (different launcher (authored by Google, not samsung), TrustGo security, etc) but it wasn't rooted.

• What can I do without a factory reset (I'd rather not reload all my apps one by one and wait a few hours in between to figure out which app is "causing" the reboot)?  
  • Will Verizon issue a followup patch to this update to fix this issue? 
  • Is anybody else having these issues? 
  • Does Verizon care since the phone is 2 years old and they want you to upgrade? (like my Thunderbolt where an update caused so much lag that it could take up to 4 minutes to initiate a phone call)
  • Should I just dump Verizon and get a Nexus device where the carrier isn't involved in pushing updates?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S4 randomly rebooting after VRUFNG6 update!
joonhyuk
Contributor - Level 1

There has been a new update released for the S4. Go into your Settings Menu and select Software Update. This is to fix the power cycling and VPN connection issues. One step closer to Lollipop!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ray_Sir, we want to help you get that device back to the way it use to be! Have you downloaded 3rd party applications to your device? Some application softwar can affect the performance of your device. Try running your device in safe mode http://vz.to/1wtVgDm and keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
j_layyyne
Enthusiast - Level 2

Extremely annoying update, and to blame a third party app is ignoring a poorly built "update."

Samsung has a fix that is built into our awesome s4's

Clear the cache by:

1. Remove battery out of phone and put back in

2. Power up phone and hold the: Up volume, home button and the power button, once the system boots in recovery let go of the buttons.

3. Use volume keys to select clear system cache (use power button as select)

Should be better if not fixed; you won't lose any data, but is recommend backing up just incase

jshal1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem. I really hate this. I'm moving on to an iphone since I can't trust the android platform anymore. Thanks for not testing before putting updates in production. That really illustrates all the wonderful extra services and attention I pay for when I switched to Verizon.... Should have stayed with sprint (40% cheaper).

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

The updates are coming from Google, Motorola, Samsung etc, not Verizon and apps are not tested by Verizon. Verizon provides the Network you operate on and they test only for networks issues. Not every update will work with every app that someone installed.

Klue
Master - Level 1

I've had this new update on my S4 phone for 3 days now and there has not been one problem encountered.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

People buying these phones need to understand more about phones, updates and apps before they purchase.

jshal1
Enthusiast - Level 1

To be perfectly clear this a business smartphone that is supposed to be stable and reliable. I can easily root, reinstall the previous os version,  restore etc.... These activities take a lot of time. I don't want to have to restore my phone because of a poorly tested update sent without clear communications that it's untested and WILL LIKELY create problems on your phone if you've installed any 3rd party apps... I can't even believe I have to spell this out!!!  It's completely unacceptable. My phone goes back tomorrow. Going to iPhone... They have problems too but at least they take accountability!!!!

0 Likes
eddieb1
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is happening to me too!  Very frustrating I should've known better than to update before checking if others were having issues.  Of course the day after updating I left for an international trip and am stuck with a phone that barely holds a battery, charges very slow, freezes and reboots regularly, especially when on calls.  Please come up with a quick fix Verizon/Samsung/Google that doesnt involve a hard reset

Klue
Master - Level 1

You are 100 percent correct.  The biggest reason I never have problems with updates is that except for a couple of well known apps my phone is stock.  I prefer it that way. Every update I have ever installed has made all my phones better off.