Re: Galaxy S4 randomly rebooting after VRUFNG6 update!
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

It not good reading it sad and shows plain bad business on Samsung and Verizon part, sorry for the customers. It's a full blown disaster and a Samsung upgrade core code release problem. No SRT or FDR will make this go away. Company screw up big time and then bailed out.

46.Re: Verizon NG6 Update: Multiple random reboots?

ilmanzo31 Oct 20, 2014 1:50 PM (in response to Dawgman25)

Spent two hours at Best Buy with the Samsung guy...I will cut through all the **** and just tell you all what finally WORKED for me....

1. Factory Data Reset

IMMEDIATELY followed by

2. Firmware DOWNGRADE to 'FNC5'

I had done two data resets previously and was not successful. Until i did the reset and then did the firmware update IMMEDIATELY via their computer after it the reset did the apps optimize properly.

284.Re: Verizon NG6 Update: Multiple random reboots?

stef7 Nov 3, 2014 1:17 PM (in response to ohreli)

That's a really good post. Verizon should compensate you for providing technical support. Let's see, maybe a Note4 gratis for your trouble?

But, seriously, VZW needs to step up and provide actionable, detailed, timely, well written support information that goes above and beyond the script they have been handing out if they are going to contribute in a major way to solutions on their own forums.

I took the liberty of looking at their Facebook page yesterday. OMG, the support there is missing the mark there even worse than here... Most of the posts there though are people complaining about not being able to determine if/when their iPhone6 is really going to ship after ordering online, -or-being "taken" by the iPhone upgrade program / undervalued re-imbursement (they send in a fully functional device - they have followed directions to wipe to factory settings and instead of $200, they receive $36 and report the device was received broken or not fully reset back to factory).

Very disappointing.

I would ring some chimes at Samsung corp. in large numbers and loud.  Phone Guy

0 Likes
Japagi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried this and the problem persists. Please provide a solution or  means to downgrade to previous version.

0 Likes
Kbear56

My phone has been rebooting and freezing multiple times a day for the past two weeks. I just factory reset it today. And it still is rebooting. I am not a programmer, I am just your average user.

I reached my wits end and factory reset it. I was on the phone with my insurance and it shutdown and rebooted. I had no problems before the NG6 update. Ever since the update my phones been a mess (and its not 3rd party updates, water damages, etc.) It was absolutely fine before this rollout.

FYI - those looking to factory reset it, it doesn't always work. I am trying to run repair assistant now (and am having problems using it)- I read that running repair assistant can work.

Please send out an update for the update.

0 Likes
frankydp1234

Same issue,  across multiple S4s.   Rebooted 60 seconds after update was installed.  Hasn't stopped since.  Wife requested replacement via warranty.  Same issue with only factory apps installed.  

0 Likes
Phil_Sy
Enthusiast - Level 1

There was another (long) thread on this which has been locked by the administrator.  What I have learned from it is that NG6 has a bug that causes random and frequent reboots. It also causes screen freezes. It does not seem to effect everyone. I suspect there are several hardware versions of the phone that account for the inconsistency, but I have no facts about that. Verizon has not always communicated accurately and forthrightly with its customers on this problem. Somewhere in that other thread, there is someone who heard from Verizon that the problem is related to disabled apps. If you disabled any apps, re-enable them and it should cure the problem.

Don't bother with a factory data reset (FDR) or using the software repair assistant. This meets with mixed results and is a fairly drastic step. Several hours are required to deal with the phone to get it set the way you had it after you run one of these procedures, neither of which seems to be providing a reliable fix.

In the end, I believe that Knox is the problem app. Since re-enabling all my factory installed apps, I have disabled WatchOn, Samsung Link, and NFL Mobile, and am not having the problem. If you have disabled Knox, re-enable it, and that should cure the problem.

None of this is guaranteed, but I believe it is the thing to do. Good luck.

0 Likes
joonhyuk
Contributor - Level 1

Here's the most interesting thing about this update. I sent my phone into Samsung since it was under warranty and guess what firmware was installed on the phone when I got it back? VRUFNC5, the earlier version of the software prior to the horrible VRUFNG6 update!!

Does that not seem to be the most obvious admission by Samsung stating that they do know there is an issue with this firmware?

Back on 10-31-14, I spoke with a rep from Verizon that both Samsung and Verizon were both cooperating to see where this issue lies with this firmware update. Both companies are aware that they have a problem.

Do you know what else they had to fix on my phone you guys? My motherboard! I spoke with Samsung multiple times throughout my repair process and they stated they needed to replace the motherboard on the phone.

Does that not seem like there's an underlying hardware issue? Riddle me that Verizon....

0 Likes
Phil_Sy
Enthusiast - Level 1

In the last few minutes, I received a couple of updates to this thread in my email that I do not see here. I'm not sure why that has happened. People are asking about that other thread with some 40K views. It seems there was discussion about things that are not permitted by the service agreement...that is, doing things to your phone that you aren't supposed to do. I'm not going to mention those things because I'm sure they are monitoring for the key words. If you have any imagination at all, you'll know what I mean. I believe people were doing those things out of frustration and desperation. It helped to confirm the problem as I stated it.

Hearing that firmware updates and motherboard changes provided successful fixes seems to lend support to my earlier statement that multiple hardware configurations must have been released and only some phones are affected as a result. Again, this is purely speculation.

kjcht
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would suggest that everyone do a Google search for "verizon wireless executive leadership".  (I'd post the info here but it would get me banned as per terms of service.)  Contact all the VPs of Customer Service and ask them the status of the Samsung Galaxy S4 NG6 Reboot issue.  This has been the only approach that has yielded any kind of information so far.

joonhyuk
Contributor - Level 1

The motherboard was an issue however, Samsung still loaded the old version of firmware. So it quite possibly is a hardware issue coupled with a firmware issue.

0 Likes
kjcht
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi JGG2,

Yes it communism in it's true form.

I can completely understand and relate.  We tried our to help Verizon understand that we were here trying to help them.  But alas, for whatever reason, Verizon is not able to comprehend that.  I am exploring other options myself and will soon be joining your ranks.  I think Nexus is a good choice.

I will continue to spread the word of Verizon's incompetence!

Cheers!

0 Likes