Galaxy S4 "Miscellaneous" Files: 6.39GB (what are they, and why are they there?)
chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was checking out the storage usage on my S4 and see that "miscellaneous" files takes up 6.39GB--almost half of the available storage.  I checked with a few other folks who have S4s, and the other guy who has a Verizon S4 also has 6.39GB used by miscellaneous files.  The guys who have AT&T or T-Mobile are using a couple hundred MB.  Tapping on the Misc section only shows a few MB of files--nowhere near the 6.39GB being used.

After some searching around, it seems that there are a lot of Verizon subscribers who have very large "miscellaneous" files, though I haven't been able to figure out quite why.  Can someone chime in on what these might be, and why they are there?  Yes, I know I can get an SDmicro memory card (I plan to use the one from my old TB, actually), but I'd still like to know.

Also, what are other S4 users seeing for miscellaneous files?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S4 "Miscellaneous" Files: 6.39GB (what are they, and why are they there?)
Klue
Master - Level 1

I don't have the S4 yet, but what was the free space available on your internal memory when you got the phone.  The phone comes with 16Gb of memory.  If you havent loaded anything on to the internal memory then the misc files would probably be Software and Aps that Samsung and Verizion loaded onto your phone before purchase. I don't think it is possible to ID each and everyone on the files that are marked Misc.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S4 "Miscellaneous" Files: 6.39GB (what are they, and why are they there?)
chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The 6.39GB of miscellaneous files were there from the start.  That seems like a pretty insane amount of storage for "software and apps" that don't show up under apps.  Maybe that's why it took VZW so long to release the S4--they had petabytes of "miscellaneous files" to load!

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

What else is listed under storage usage besides Misc??

0 Likes
chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Applications, Pictures & Video, Audio, Downloads--none of which takes up any appreciable space.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear Chris_K,

Good morning. Congrats on your recent purchase of the Samsung Galaxy S4. I know the importance of ensuring you have available memory. I would be more than happy to address your equipment concerns.

The Miscellaneous memory on the Galaxy S4, holds pre-installed applications that come with your device. Shoud you need additonal memory than what is available on the device, you may purchase a memory card up to 64GB. In addition, the Samsung Galaxy S4 offers a feature called Samsung Smart Switch. This feature immediately transfers photos, videos, contacts, and apps in one clean sweep. For more information on this feature please visit samsungsmartswitch.com. Should you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us. We would be more than happy to assist you.

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
kgirl58

Michelle, your response is the same uneducated and misleading info that was given to me when I purchases the S4 last week.  It's the reason that I'm returning it w/i the 14 day period and cancelling the new contract that I entered into when I bought it.

You can't transfer apps to an SD card.  So the "expandable" phone that your sales rep sold me is truly not expandable, and when you consider that 6.42 GB of a 16 GB phone is being taken up by the "Misc. Files" that are nothing more than Verizon bloat, it's an appalling low amount of storage for something sold as "The Next Big Thing".  I'll go to AT & T for the 32GB, and, if not available, I'll stick with the S4 but get it from Sprint, which has the unlimited data plan so I don't need to use up my data plan (or make sure I have access to wifi and remember to use it) everytime I remove and then reload an app to get around the storage problem.  Not to mention that I save the $50 early cancelling fee that I would have paid Sprint plus get $150 off the price of the phone.  It's not like Verizon offered me anything to switch over anyway.

Honestly, Verizon should be ashamed of itself. 

0 Likes
chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the reply, Michelle.  After doing additional research, I think your answer might be misleading.  It would be more accurate to say that the miscellaneous files are comprised of the Android OS, as well as other software added by Verizon.

The "applications" on my phone, about 300 of them, take up about 2GB (or about 6MB per app).  It would take almost 1,100 additional "other applications" to use up 6.39GB--which surely can't be the case.

From what I can see, the majority of the fault for the misleading storage claims appears to be Samsung's--although Verizon appears to to be carrier that adds the most after-factory "bloatware."

Alao

I have some to the conclusion that Verizon is probably the worst phone company in the world. Not only do you limit my S4 by removing features that other people have from different networks "Blocking Mode" then you install your bloated crap that uses up half my memory?!?!?!?  I paid full retail price for my phone and I expect to be able to do what the hell I want with it.  if I wasn't grandfathered in for an unlimited data plan I would of left verizon a long time ago.

>>Post edited to comply with     Discussion concerning rooting, jailbreaking, or modding is not permitted in this forum<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

You can apply the latest Android update, that will allow you to install apps to the sd card. That will give you all the memory you could ever use.

Oh you didn't know about missing features that are available with other carriers. I did by doing research before buying, that is why I'm more than satisified with my S4, no surprises.

You can do anything you want with your phone but all carriers provide you with a service and you use that phone within the parameters the carrier provides.  But then you already know that by being a Verizion subscriber for many years.

0 Likes