Galaxy S3 not receiving email after update.
MarkMcB

My wife's Samsung Galaxy S3 (which had been working fine) received a Samsung update on July 2nd and immediately thereafter, the phone stopped receiving any email.  I am tech savvy, but I cannot fix this.  Here are the relevant facts:

The phone is only set up for a single email account which is thru Verizon.net and we are only using the default Mail app.

The phone can still SEND email.

I have verified and re-entered all the email parameters exactly as they are on my phone and the settings seem to validate properly..

It shows no error messages and appears to sync without issue; it just does not download any new messages.

Her email account still works fine if checked from another device.

I have not gone so far as to delete the account from the phone and recreate it because when I start the process, it warns me that she may lose all her contacts (?).  That would be catastrophic.  I have used the built in backup function to backup her contacts,, but I still don't have a warm-fuzzy feeling about removing the account.  I'm just not excited about taking that risk without any assurances it will even fix the problem. 

Can anyone offer a solution?  Or maybe there is a place on-line that I could view the backed up data to verify it before I do anything drastic?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S3 not receiving email after update.
deltabond
Enthusiast - Level 3

What was the update for?  Check in "about phone" in the settings, where it lists the operating system version.  Is it 4.4.2?

0 Likes
MarkMcB

Yes. It is now at version 4.4.2.

0 Likes
deltabond
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is the KitKat Operating System that everyone is complaining about.  There is a thread on this forum about those particular complaints, and there are quite a few constructive posts in that thread.  You might read through there and find some helpful information or post your question there.  Considering all that's gone wrong with that OS, I would assume that's what has messed things up on her phone.  I could be wrong, though, but see if you can find that thread on here.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us MarkMcB. Sorry to hear about the issues your wife has encountered with her email account after the update. It is possible that the email needs manual configuration with the incoming and outgoing servers. Have you tried re-creating the email account using the 'Other Email' creation option?

Regarding the removal of the account, as long as you are using Backup Assistant, or even Google for backup, her contacts will be saved. Generally if you add and sync the email, it can copy over the contacts again if needed. (as long as they are saved via the website for the email account.)

Keep us updated!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MarkMcB

Thanks.  I did see that thread (those threads) after posting this.

Based on those and the response from Customer Service below, I will try removing the account, rebooting the phone and recreating the account - all while crossing my fingers.

I might also poke around the Android corners of the web a bit since this latest round is not the first major Android upgrade failure.  It kind of makes you question the whole development process...

I am not an Apple fan, but I do start to appreciate the up-side of their unified control over everything in their realm.

0 Likes
deltabond
Enthusiast - Level 3

I couldn't really bring myself to consider an iPhone.  A lot of people here at work have those, and every time they do an update, they have to re-customize their phone, and it seems like a huge hassle.  Before this one update, android was fine.  I'm just kinda holding my breath hoping for them to fix it.  They have a lot of people working on their stuff, and most of it is open source, so I'm sure that android owners at Google Inc have noticed the problems and seen all the discussions on the net.  They might not see a lot of negative impact until sales are hurt next time people buy phones.

I've decided, though, that if the problem persists and isn't resolved by the time I have the opportunity to adjust my account, I will not be keeping a smartphone.  There's not much of a point, if nothing on them works.  The replacement phone I got doesn't have the kitkat OS on it, 4.4.2, and I've managed to ward off the phone updating with it... but even if they never resolve it AND I'm able to keep that bade update off my phone, all the apps will still update and eventually they won't work on my phone... I don't think it will go on that long, but if it does, I'll not be keeping a smart phone.  There isn't another one other than Android that I trust, and no one else living in my area gets very good service out my way... so another service provider isn't really something I want to try.  There's just no use keeping a smart phone that doesn't work.

0 Likes