Galaxy S3 inadvertantly calling contacts
Skyfire85
Enthusiast - Level 2

My S3 (SCH-I535) has twice now called someone on my contact list without me noticing. I was walking both times, and noticed when I went to check my phone. Both calls were to family (fortunately enough), and both had only been going a short while. The phone is bone stock and not rooted, running Android 4.4.2. I do have a Gear 2 (998E) connected via Bluetooth, if that means anything. Has anyone else had this happen, or any ideas about fixing it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S3 inadvertantly calling contacts
Skyfire85
Enthusiast - Level 2

I never turned on the Motion options Snn5 mentioned, so that shouldn't be it. So far, I haven't had another phantom call, so I'm thinking it was the watch after all. I'll just have to give it a while and see.

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Skyfire85,

Hmm let's stop these ghost calls! Do you notice this happens as well when your phone is out of your pocket?

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Skyfire85
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, both times the phone has been in my pocket. I've got the lock screen set, for what that's worth.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is strange indeed, Skyfire85! I must say I have not heard of a phone randomly dialing while the lock screen is enabled. Let me get more details from you. What lock screen do you have enabled? Is it the slide/swipe, face unlock, pattern, PIN or password?
I'm wondering if the Gear 2 is prompting the calls to initiate via bluetooth.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Do you have the "Flip phone to turn off screen or mute calls" feature?  I know a friend had pocket dial issues when using messaging with the stock app.  If they were on the text screen and the screen wasn't off, or if the home button got pressed and a text was incoming on the lock screen that the recipient/sender would be called because "Direct Call" was enabled in Settings-My Device-Motion-Direct call was enabled.

0 Likes
Skyfire85
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the PIN on when the second call happened, but I've since switched to pattern. I was wondering if it might be the Gear, since I was wearing a coat both times, but it seemed like such a long and specific set of motions to have to go through to call a number, I didn't think I could do it accidentally. Either way, I've removed the contact and dialer apps from the watch temporarily.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying all those steps, Skyfire85. Since removing those apps, have you noticed any new unexpected calls? Did you also get the chance to look inot the setting Snn5 suggested?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
Skyfire85
Enthusiast - Level 2

I never turned on the Motion options Snn5 mentioned, so that shouldn't be it. So far, I haven't had another phantom call, so I'm thinking it was the watch after all. I'll just have to give it a while and see.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes