Re: Galaxy Nexus DELAYED....AGAIN
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Granted I do think the original intention was for a November release, he did say "STARTING" in November which I infer to mean a country may get it then with others to follow not necessarily an explicit date for a worldwide release for all countries.

0 Likes
gnexus

And what was the first country he stated?!  "Starting in November it will be available in THE UNITED STATES, Europe, and Asia..."  What part of that is left to be inferred that it would launch here any other time than November?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

If it were a strictly November release, he wouldn't have qualified the statement with "Starting".  Not to mention phones do get delayed which is why the carriers and manufacturers try not to give an explicit date because you have the whiny kids that are going to demand it then or else.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Tidbits, this is the link that I found.

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2011/10/19/Samsung-and-Google-introduce-GALAXY-Nexus

The relevant sentence is somewhat vague, but it is enough to set an expectation in customers' minds.

"GALAXY Nexus will be available in the U.S., Europe, and Asia beginning in November and gradually rolled out to other global markets."

Since this event was not held in the US, a reasonable person could think that the phone would release in the US first, Europe second and Asia third.  We all saw that Europe has the Galaxy Nexus already.  It is reasonable to think that the US (and hence, VZW) version would be out soon after.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

gnexus wrote:

And what was the first country he stated?!  "Starting in November it will be available in THE UNITED STATES, Europe, and Asia..."  What part of that is left to be inferred that it would launch here any other time than November?

That doesn't mean it will be released in that order.  I am looking for something where they stated without a doubt that they said it will release it in the US in November.  I don't assume, and I take it for what I see it as.  When they say Starting in November they will be releasing the device in these areas.  I been through this in my line of work from different various companies out there.  When something is listed it isn't always in that order.  Also the LTE version didn't pass FCC inspection until LATE November...  Samsung or Google wouldn't be stupid enough to produce millions of units without the approval.  If it fails thats time, and resources down the drain.  It'll take time for them to produce the devices to possibly meet initial demands for that matter.
Also you still haven't said anything about as to why the Galaxy Nexus LTE version is on 4.1.
Here's the top reasons why it has NOTHING to do with Google Wallet and Verizon entirely.
  1. Google Wallet can be used in conjuction with Isis.  Google uses their own standard, but Google can choose to do both standards which why a "commercial" agreement is needed.
  2. Google Wallet is closed source, and uses the same API as Beam(an advertised feature) and by removing the API's needed then Beam will not work.  So 4.1 has NOTHING to do with removing API's for Wallet.
  3. Google Wallet is NOT installed on test devices, AND not downloadable from the market like it should be.  If the device is ready now it can be released now.  Which brings back to 4.1 being on the LTE version, and not on the GSM version which is on 4.0.1.  If they released the LTE version there will be fragmentation even between their own device so they are not finished yet to release it simultaniously or even release the AOSP for that version yet. So do you think Google who been saying they are trying to stop fragmentation ends up fragmenting their own OS which is supposed to stop fragmentation?  Doesn't look good does it?

So take it with a grain of salt, but there's more to it, and people just want to point the finger at Verizon, but the facts are there.
0 Likes
gnexus

I can say without a doubt this is 100% on Verizon and has been for almost a month now.  That may not hold much water now, but when the phone finally is released, I will gladly state how I knew this.  Samsung rubber stamped the phone in November as expected, both the GSM and LTE versions.  Both went through the FCC getting the green light.  Google released the ICS source shortly after that approval.  It is pretty clear neither Samsung or Google are holding this device up.  Especially Samsung who likely had the GN as part of their holiday/Q4 sales figures.  I understand delays, but Verizon is holding this hostage and hasn't said a peep.

I buy into a few conspiracy theories, but the one that stands out now is the Wallet fiasco.  This is a really bold move by Verizon stating they "asked Google to remove Wallet".  Sorry that just doesn't float.  That is like Ford saying the stock radio has XM, but you can't turn it on.  That would never fly.  Verizon tried to pull one over Google, Google probably got some lawyers on it, and here we stand.  At this point, my only selling point to going to Verizon is LTE.  If this phone doesn't launch this week, I'll be paying full price for the GSM version and never give Verizon any of my business down the road.  

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

gnexus wrote:

I can say without a doubt this is 100% on Verizon and has been for almost a month now.  That may not hold much water now, but when the phone finally is released, I will gladly state how I knew this.  

And why is it that you do not want to state your 100% without a doubt reason right now?

Why do you need to wait until after the release? You are so gung ho for Verizon to give a reason and a date, yet you are holding back when you KNOW the reason. Does this mean you also KNOW the release date, since you seem to think that Verizon knows the release date, yet just does not want to give it out?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
Why wait? Just do it now. You are already unhappy... Why be stuck being unhappy and wait longer? You can do something about it and hurt Verizon's bottom line. By staying and complaining you are empowering the 1%...
0 Likes
gnexus

If you've ever worked in the software industry, you're asked to sign NDA's.  Thus I am upholding that.  I can say that all of the previous release dates have been accurately reported.  I can say that Thursday looks like a pretty good day, but so did last Friday, so we will have to see.  

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

gnexus wrote:

If you've ever worked in the software industry, you're asked to sign NDA's.  Thus I am upholding that.  I can say that all of the previous release dates have been accurately reported.  I can say that Thursday looks like a pretty good day, but so did last Friday, so we will have to see.  

Really? HOW are they going to know you said it? I mean a lot of Google employees supposedly went on record with their names stated and haven't been fired for it.
0 Likes