GLONASS satellites inoperable after KitKat update
VidProQuo

The Galaxy S4 navigation can use both the Russian GLONASS satellites and the U.S. GPS satellites, after updating to KitKat and having to do a complete factory data reset on my Galaxy S4, I just noticed that on all my GPS apps that none of the Russian GLONASS satellites are locking on. They show up and show signal, but they all remain "grayed out" and are not being used. All the U.S. GPS satellites are working fine. With KitKat on the S4, the GPS still works but with greatly reduced accuracy, in my case, having the additional accuracy really helps me in my business and was one of the major reasons I went with the S4. Bottom line; KitKat either has a bug or Samsung or Verizon disabled the GLONASS satellites deliberately. This needs to be fixed. Anyone else notice this behavior?gps_status.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: GLONASS satellites inoperable after KitKat update
hartwichr

I have had similar issues with my Verizon G4.  I tried contacting Samsung tech support and my online chat person in broken English made it sound like the did not support the glonass system unless you are in Russia, etc.  From reading online it sounds like either Samsung/Verizon disabled locking on glonass or strongly disfavor it and only permit it when normal GPS reception is poor.  I suspect for battery reasons.

I geocache frequently and enjoy playing with my location settings and am willing to sacrifice battery life for accuracy and under tree cover reception.  I can understand disabling glonass in the US for normal use, but they should allow a setting on the phone to turn it on/off.  Afterall, if I wanted to be in a walled garden with my hardware/software provider telling me how to do things I would have bought an Apple product.  I intentionally buy Android with the hopes of getting more settings and flexibility (at my own risk of course).

0 Likes