Re: Free wifi and verizon data usage
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Gunnyboy wrote:

Thanks to all for the information, especially with regard to turning off mobile data when using wifi.

Especially if you have an iphone. Not dissing them. They are just really bad at shutting off wi-fi without you knowing.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

All phones can show that they're connected to WiFi and not actually be sing the WiFi data. It depends on that setting that automatically bounces you to the mobile connection if you're on a poor WiFi network. Granted, this was the FIRST setting (WiFi Assist) that I turned off on my iPhone 7 Plus when I got it. I think Androids now have this setting as well. It is terrible. You see the WiFi symbol, you're think you're good and you start streaming a movie then...BLAMO!!!...you used 3GB of mobile data because of this little setting that device manufacturers think is helpful. It would only be helpful if you got a pop-up saying that the WiFi was poor and the phone was switching to the mobile data.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Gunnyboy, we are more than happy to assist you with any questions you do have on using your Android device with the Internet. We know how important it is to make sure that you are saving on your data allowance. When your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network like in a hotel or in a restaurant, you are not using your Verizon Wireless data allowance. However, sprmankalel is right. Certain Android devices do have a Setting you can adjust so that if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network that is not as strong as the Verizon network, your phone may connect back to the Verizon network by default. What kind of Android phone do you have? Are you receiving any indication that your phone is not staying connected to Wi-Fi? 

BrettA_VZW 

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes