Free wifi and verizon data usage
Gunnyboy
Enthusiast - Level 2

When utilizing a free wifi hotspot at a restaurant or hotel, as an example, does this use up my gb's on my verizon data plan using my smartphone?

Thanks for any help....................

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Free wifi and verizon data usage
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Using wi-fi at restaurants/hotels/etc. does not use your VzW data plan/data allowance.  You may want to turn off mobile data when connected to wi-fi for long periods in case the wi-fi connection drops.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

Why does this still get asked in 2018? wi-fi is not part of Verizon's network. The only way it is if you're using your phone as a hotpot or have a Verizon hotpsot.

0 Likes
Gunnyboy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Tiki,

I really appreciate this. New to smartphones and the android technology, so I'm a bit of an anachronism in world today. Goes with old age....

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Gunnyboy wrote:

Thanks Tiki,

I really appreciate this. New to smartphones and the android technology, so I'm a bit of an anachronism in world today. Goes with old age....

has nothing to do with android. All wi-fi is a wireless signal coming from a router to a device that has wi-fi antennas( such as a phone ). Most of the time the router is connected to a modem that is connected to internet access. of course if you're connected to that you;re not using Verizon's network you are connecting to someone else's ISP( internet service provider ). Your phone also has GPS and bluetooth which are also wireless technologies that also do not connect to Verizon's network

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I have to agree and disagree with you.

Of course you are correct on how WiFi works. However, by default, most newer devices are set to use mobile data if the WiFi signal is weak. Public WiFi connections can be very iffy and with this setting on, you do run the risk of using your mobile data unexpectedly.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

I was just explaining how wi-fi works the OP was asking( at least that's the way I inferred ) if wi-fi uses their Verizon data and of course it doesn't. As I said I'm shocked that in 2018 people are still confused over this and not just the OP because I've seen this confusion elsewhere even people I encounter in "real" life.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Oh. I totally get it. I also have to explain these things to people sometimes.

I wanted to add a little extra information without making yours seem invalid.

bearone21
Legend

because people don't know & ask!!

ya ever heard, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask???

Gunnyboy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to all for the information, especially with regard to turning off mobile data when using wifi.

0 Likes