Finding a Deactivated Stolen S4
akatmc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi there!

I recently realized that my old S4 that I had been using as an mp3 player (Spotify, mostly) has been misplaced, or most likely stolen. The device was not rooted, nor had a factory reset. It had a lock screen on it and I've already used the android device manager to erase the phone's data remotely, as there was a lot of personal information on that device.

I don't recall installing any apps that aid in finding the device. Is there any way I can track it down? Even though, I'm pretty sure it could be dead because the battery life was pretty awful (if it wasn't stolen).

Thank you for your help!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Finding a Deactivated Stolen S4
rcschnoor
Legend

Are you aware you can also use Android Device Manager to locate your device? Once you erase the device, it is unlikely you would be able to locate it in this manner, though.

akatmc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah, I've attempted to do so, but it says it's unavailable. It's also understandable because I always turned the location off to conserve battery Smiley Sad

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, if you turn location services off it would be kind of hard for an app to locate your device.

akatmc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, at the very least, I just want to erase everything on that phone. If I end up finding it, no harm done. If it's lost forever, I just don't want people having that kind of information on me Smiley Happy Do you know that the remote factory reset is a reliable tool?

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

if the phone is deactivated it won't be located whether gps is on/off .

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Wi-Fi would have to be on and connected to a data source. Then you would have to have GPS on. That's the only way you could track it. Now if they figure out a way to circumvent securities and factory reset the device you will be [removed] and probably somewhere overseas or a carrier other than Verizon.

Profanity removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

rcschnoor
Legend

bearone21 wrote:

if the phone is deactivated it won't be located whether gps is on/off .

That is incorrect. Android Device Manager has nothing to do with Verizon, it is a Google product. It works with wifi only devices and as such would work with a deactivated phone as long as wifi was active.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

you missed a couple points......only if gps is on & signed in to google account.

so i guess the lesson to be learned is, if the phone's lost it's best to change pw & notify verizon it's been lost.

btw, it did find my non-activated s3 & i'm signed in to google with gps on.

Before you can use Android Device Manager to locate your device: Your device's location access need to be turned on and be signed in to your Google Account. Android Device Manager won't work for devices that are turned off or that don't have a mobile data or Wi-Fi connection.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

bearone21 wrote:

you missed a couple points......only if gps is on & signed in to google account.

Of course I was taking that for granted. You obviously can't find the phone if it doesn't know where it is itself.

I also took for granted the phone was turned on with ample battery power, was within range of a wifi signal connected to the internet AND the phone was logged into the wifi network. The point was that you can find the device with Android Device Manager even if the phone is deactivated.

0 Likes