Faulty severe weather alerts!!!
snugglesmacks2
Enthusiast - Level 3

In the past month, I have received 5 "Severe alert" messages, accompanied by that annoying sound from the Emergency Broadcasting System tests on TV. The first one scared the crap out of me. The problem is that not one of them has been remotely accurate. They are all warning of severe floods, and they come at times when there is no rain forecast for some time. Tonight, for example, it claims that a severe flood alert is in effect for my are until 6:45 AM. However, there's no rain scheduled at all until after 10 AM when there might be a mild, brief thunderstorm. I don't live in a floodplain, or anywhere that intense rains from elsewhere are likely to come raging through...I just don't get it. It's as though Verizon thinks I am somewhere else.

I know how to turn the alerts off, but am reluctant to do so in case there is an accurate alert at some point which might be useful. What I can't figure out is how to change the location...it apparently runs off the GPS location, but I'm not sure how broad the area is which gets the alerts. I can't even find a flood alert on any of the weather websites for my entire state, or the surrounding states...

Are any of you having this issue? If so, is there a solution besides ditching the alerts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Faulty severe weather alerts!!!
nlitend
Contributor - Level 1

LOL you think verizon has a little department somewhere that created that system on your phone and that personally puts out weather alerts?  Take it up with the people who put the alerts out.

AZSALUKI
Legend

do you have a weather app or widget running? if so, i would try uninstalling (or at least removing it from your homescreen) it and installing a different one. i don't "think" that verizon has anything to do with it.

0 Likes
rall_g4
Contributor - Level 3

Its the government new emergency alert system. My phone got a weather alert the other day. Other phones in the plan didn't. I am not sure if it by location possibly. It gave me an option to continue to receive them.  Not sure how to shut it off.

0 Likes
Faulty severe weather alerts!!!
snugglesmacks2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow, you first 2 responders don't keep up with the news. This is not an app that I downloaded. The National Weather Service got together with several phone carriers to come up with this system. If you have a phone which gets the service, you find it in your apps under "Emergency Alerts." There is no "About" section in the app to get contact info to report a bug. You can only turn the alerts on or off (except Presidential, which can't be turned off) and set a reminder notification, and turn vibrate on and off. You can't even change the ringtone. There are no other options, like location services or contact information.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

on the GSIII, it's in the settings for the stock messaging app.  Not sure about the others though

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii430/pttyndal/droid/Screenshot_2012-08-02-11-34-29.png

0 Likes
rall_g4
Contributor - Level 3

I don't have a smart phone so I will stick to basic phone that I have.

Messaging

Settings

Emergency alert

Can turn on and off here

0 Likes
snugglesmacks2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also, nlitend, according to this article, it is the carrier who sends the message out to specific towers according to location: http://www.stargazette.com/viewart/20120801/NEWS01/308010068/Cellphone-alerts-helped-tell-Elmira-tor...

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

FEMA and the National Weather Service developed the system and send out the alerts, and the participating wireless carriers provide the mechanism.  Not all Verizon phones are capable of receiving the alerts ... there is a link in this article:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/mobile/240002942 that gives a list of capable phones and how the system works.

0 Likes
snugglesmacks2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, but unfortunately this still doesn't give me an option to provide feedback. I have sent feedback to Verizon, but no response as of yet. I understand that the system is new, but I would hate to have users turn the notifications off out of annoyance because they are incorrect, and then miss something that is correct and important.

0 Likes