Re: Faint background ringing HTC DNA
rtpbiker

I have the HTC One for Verizon and today experienced the faint ringing problem.  My wife has the Droid DNA and has never had this problem.  So it appears the Droid DNA is not the only phone susceptible to the faint ringing.  Like everyone else has mentioned, only placing a call to the phone would get it to hush up.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This issue has definitely become frustrating for customers macri and I know we will do all we can to get you a working phone. If you are within the 14day worry free guarantee, you can take the phone back for a replacement of the same phone or a different model. Please keep us posted.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
USMerc

Well...I WAS thinking about changing my Rezound for a nice shiny new HTC One, but I reckon I won't now!  I'll keep my old falling apart Rezound because it still works (Even though it's getting a bit long in the tooth!!!) 

0 Likes
Azz316
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just FYI DNA folks....this is happening on the HTC One also.  I just bought one and had the problem.  Found this forum a week ago after it happened and there was no fix other than reboot or make a call then hang up.  It happened today and I searched for HTC One specific issues (which weren't showing up last week probably because Verizon just got the HTC One) and poof, now there are HTC One owners complaining about the faint ringing issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Bailey6747

I know a faint ringing would be very annoying. Let's get to the bottom of this! Does this happen when using a particular application? Please power the device in safe mode and retest. Here's how: http://bit.ly/WJhcHA

Please let me know if the issue persists.

JoeL_VZW

Please follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Bailey6747
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ VZW support, what is the definition of insanity? " To do the same thing repeatedly and expect a different out come."

Our phones have a problem, to put it simply, FIX IT! Seeing that the HTC One has the exact same issue, pressure HTC to provide a solution. Simply giving your customers the run around is unacceptable.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

0 Likes
random64
Contributor - Level 2

For anyone having this issue, I'm trying to understand if this is related to cellular radio signal strength.

1) While the rining is occurring put put phone in "Airplane Mode" ( Settings --> Wireless & Networks 'More' --> Airplane Mode == checked ).

2) Does the ringing stop?  If it stops, then turn Airplane Mode off.  Now does the ringing come back?  If so, then it seems to be related to cellular radio, so check your signal strength, by doing "Settings --> About Phone --> Network, and look at the values for Signal Strength.  Is the value less than -103dBm?

(remember since it's a negative number, -103 is "less than" -100).

When signal strength is low (weak signal), the Transmitter has to transmit at a higher power and as it does this periodically it draws alot of current from the power supply, which theoretically can magnetically couple to the speaker.

On the other hand, if going into airplane mode (which turns the cellular radio off) doesn't impact the ringing at all, then we know it's not a radio issue, and can focus on software, etc.

Also, should note the Moble network type.  If more people can report this information (Airplane mode occurrence, signal strength, Mobile network type) then perhaps a root cause can be found.

0 Likes
Bailey6747
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please make it stop! I have been over and over this with every new Tech support person I have had contact with.

No it does not do it on a particular app. The ringing is random no rhyme or reason as to when or what time it will start. The last time it happened I checked my running applications and Sense was using a lot of memory. After a restart the ringing stopped and everything was back to normal, as usual with this issue.

I have performed numerous factory resets. I have swapped devices. I have replaced my SIM card. I have turned off the battery fast boot. I have removed Facebook. The only thing I haven’t done is throw this darn thing into Lake Norman as I am driving down I77.

0 Likes
rtpbiker

My wife's Droid DNA phone this weekend had the faint ringing issue happen to her twice.  My HTC One also periodically suffers from the faint ringing.  The fact that this issue was originally reported January 3rd, which is eight months ago and Verizon doesn't acknowledge the problem or have any fix available is completely unacceptable.  There is a problem, it has been going on for eight months, please fix it.

0 Likes
BKralovec

BobbyS_VZW,

Signal searching may be part of the problem but there's more. When I had this problem, I turned off my phone to get the chirping/ringing to stop but it kept on doing it and battery drain continued while the phone was off! I brought it into the nearest Verizon store (Newport, OR) when it was chirping while turned off and they couldn't believe it, were vary confused as to how this could happen. They did a soft reset which got rid of the chirping and suggested I return the phone for exchange as soon as I got back home. As i said in a previous post, once I got back home the problem went away.

0 Likes