Re: Faint background ringing HTC DNA
Sooperduty

I received two Droid DNA's last month.  I was out hiking yesterday and heard the exact same sound as you all have described!

At first, I thought it was a Chirp device related to our GPS.  It was coming from my phone.  I did a restart and it went away for now!  Add me to the list of fixer uppers on this!

0 Likes
Izeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently I spoke with a very intelligent tech agent at Verizon. I was advised that when the faint ringing occurs to go in to my apps, then manage apps and select running. By doing this I am able to see how long apps have been running and the likely culprit of the ringing is the one that most recently began running. I have done this twice now and both times it seem that it is the facebook app that is the source of the problem. I would bet that everyone having this problem has the facebook app and would like to know if anyone here is having this problem and does NOT have the facebook app so we know who to approach in getting this annoyance fixed.

0 Likes
Izeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please see my latest post to this thread. I think I may have found the culprit.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Sooperduty

Let's find you a fix!  Have you tried turning off the "fast boot" by following these steps http://vz.to/18IDBxf.  Please let me know how this works out for you.  Thanks!

Anthony_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

You should disable/uninstall the Facebook app to verify.

0 Likes
rftruax

I have an HTC 4G LTE and it has done the same thing about 6 times over the last 6 months.  The ringing is very faint and high frequency and my hearing isn't what it used to be so I often can't hear it myself - people have to tell me that I am being annoying. Very embarassing.  I can not use the phone anymore because of this problem. So, I'm stuck  with a faulty phone that I can  not use and can not replace for 18 months. I'm going back to ATT iPhone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi rftruax,

You are a valued customer and we want to address any issues you may experience with your device, including this ringer issue. Please disable fast boot with the instructions at this link http://vz.to/18IDBxf as this has resolve the issue for others. Keep us posted.

Antonio_VZW

0 Likes
agratz

I too am having this problem.

My Droid DNA did this the very first night I owned it, while it was plugged in and charging. At first, I figured some app must be giving me an alert, but I could find no alerts. I finally had to turn the phone off and back on again just to get it to stop. I let it go, figuring that I would eventually discover some app with alerts turned on and turn it off, but the faint ringing noise has happened perhaps five or six more times in the four months I've owned it, and I've turned off every app alert I can find trying to root out the problem.

As for "fast boot," I've had that turned off since the very first day. I had watched a YouTube video advising that I would get much better battery life with it turned off, so it was one of the first things I did. (Like, the very first day.) After reading this forum, I double-checked that it was still turned off, and it is. So that's not the source of my phone's repeated ringing problem.

In all but one case that I can remember, my phone was plugged into its charger when the ringing began. It mostly happens after I've plugged in the phone to charge overnight, but it has also happened to me on a long drive, when I had my phone plugged into the car charger and was using the Google Maps Navigation app. That app always drains my battery and makes my phone run hot on long trips, and this was in perhaps the seventh hour of my drive. So perhaps heat is an issue, as someone suggested?

I'd love to have a resolution to this issue, as the phone really finds the most inopportune times to do this--like hour 7 of an 8 hour car trip when I'm trying to watch for street signs, or around 3 am in the morning when I'm fast asleep.

Thanks so much for your attention to this question on this forum, and for your prompt responses to everyone's posts!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your patience has been very much appreciated agratz. We are committed you getting this issue resolved for you. In order for us to do a deep dive, we would need some critical information from you. Some of which are the software and the build version on the DNA. Also, can I assume that there isn't any physical or liquid damage on the device? Another suggestion is to verify that bluetooth & wifi is turned off when testing. Let me know the results on you have done so.

Thank you...

Arnett_VZW

0 Likes
mrk2000
Enthusiast - Level 2

My family has four DNA's. We love the phone, but they all have this ringing problem. We all have different apps installed, so I don't think that is the problem. We all have fast boot turned off. My daughter got her phone taken away at school, because they are suppose to have their phones on silent mode during class. My wife and I have our phones ring during work meetings. I am just worried that I will be stuck with this problem for two years. After November these phones will be off replacement service. Two of us have all ready had our phones replaced. One for not being able to receive wifi and one just dead. My wife's phone stopped it's wifi, and now I have to call CS again. The DNA is so nice when it works. I have been a happy Verizon customer for years, but this is bad.   

0 Likes