Eris-world clock, current city is hard coded only when at home & clock is in wrong timezone
adelos

okay, so I work and live in two different cities but are in the same time zone, CST listed as GMT on phone.  so far, when I am in any city other than my home, the Current city in World clock is listed as GMT-06:00 and the clock is correct.  but when I get to my home, the Current city changes to Columbia and the clock is in the EST so it's incorrect.  EST zone is @ 3 hrs away so am no where near it.  kinda like it's seeing Columbia, SC instead of Columbia, TN.  this has happened since I got the phone on Friday and can not figure out how to correct it.  took it to the local VW store and they were able to fix it but it switched back a few hours later, but have not been able to go by the store again.

the time in the top right corner stays correct.  not sure what would make them be different, as assume this time comes from the local cell tower (?).

anyone else have this issue?  or heard of anything like it?  I don't think I changed anything but was playing around with it Friday when I got it.  though it will not let me do anything with the Current city in the World Clock now.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Eris-world clock, current city is hard coded only when at home & clock is in wrong timezone
BerwynBill

You're definitely not alone. I'm having the same problem but it happens even when I'm not leaving the house. My HTC clock widget (weather or otherwise) will jump to two hours before my current time. The time on my Eris will be correct in the upper right corner but I can only correct the time on the widget by updating the weather two or three times. Even then, it flips back to the -2 hours time in about 20 minutes. It's very aggravating as I like to have a clock on my home screen.

Anybody know if there's a good clock/weather widget in the marketplace?

0 Likes
Re: Eris-world clock, current city is hard coded only when at home & clock is in wrong timezone
BerwynBill

Well, I've narrowed it down. I live in Berwyn, Illinois, just outside of Chicago. I'm about 4 blocks away from a town called Riverside. When the clock/weather widget decides it's in Riverside, it jumps two hours earlier than my phone clock. If i can get it to reset to Berwyn or any other locale in my vicinity, it goes back to being correct. **bleep** is it with Riverside? I know this is really a HTC issue as it's their widget than screwing up but it's annoying to the point of having to scrap the marquee widget for the Eris from my home screen.

Hopefully so HTC folks browse these forums and can fix up this widget. I love it but can't have my home screen declaring a two hour difference from reality.

0 Likes
mchung

Hey All,

My wife is experiencing the same problem on her Droid Eris as well... She works in Richmond, California. I think somehow the **bleep** HTC Time Widget is confusing it for Richmond, Virginia. Time in the top right is always correct, but the widget will constantly be 3 hours ahead. There is also a city named Albany, California. Same thing happens when the phone is in Albany, California--it must be thinking Albany, NY.

To make matters worse, most of the time the **bleep** widget seems to get 'stuck' on these cities as well.  I'm sitting in Oakland, CA right now and the widget still reads Albany (and is displaying time three hours ahead).  The only ways to get it 'unstuck' I've found is to: (1) cycle power on phone--lame or (2) In widget go to Menu-->Local time settings-->Disable "Automatic: Use network provided values" and then reenable it.

She called Verizon about this about 2 weeks ago and CSR did not know anything about the problem and while sympathetic she wasn't provided no technical clarity/solution to the problem.

Verizon/HTC--hope you fix this in the rumored January 2010 update...

0 Likes
BerwynBill

It's a HTC widget so I contacted HTC and here's what they replied:

[quote]

Dear Bill, We apologize, HTC is aware of this issue, but has not released a fix for this at the current time. There is not a way to manually set the location for the HTC Clock widget other than when it is created. You may want to try deleting and recreating the Clock widget and set the item to the current location when creating the new one. If you need further assistance please contact us at 866.449.8358 Sun - Sat 8 am- 1am EST. Sincerely HTC Support www.htc.com

[/quote]

Of course, if you lock the widget into the one location it's fine but if you're traveling and have it set to change, the problem happens again when you get near the duplicate city. If you travel a good bit, you need the weather to change also, not to mention if you cross time zones.

It can't be that hard to make a fix for this. I have to say I'm pretty surprised HTC let it get out like that.

0 Likes
amahler

I have the same problem too.  I live in Richmond, TX but keep getting the time for Richmond, VA.

Hopefully it will be fixed with an update coming soon. 

I just turned off the automatic settings and set the time to the time zone I'm in.  The only problem would be if I were to travel then I would have to manually set it again.

0 Likes
jasonmonster

Anyone seen a solution for this yet? I have no problems where I live, but many of my business meetings are one town over (only 10 miles away!) called Louisville, Colorado - as you can imagine, the phone thinks I'm in Kentucky, which is 2 hours different and often 20degrees +/-. It's amazing to me that something this basic got through, and it's searching a database of cities by city name with no naming collision checks. There's got to be some other form of identification from the tower as to what locale you're in. The whole thing is ridiculous.

0 Likes
metaldrgn

I am having the same issue here in florida.  IT'S A VERIZON PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I called HTC and they pretty much walked me though the same stuff I had already done.  I even did a factory reset and still have this issue.  I had to turn off my automatic setting so the time would read right in the corner.  I have the new incredible too. 

At work, a lot of people have driod phones and they are all having this issue.  ever since two saturdays ago it started showing the incorrect time.  This is a horrible annoyance and needs to get fixed or possibly give some compensation for it. 

Even when I try and manually add my city for the widget it shows up as the wrong time zone!  {word filter avoidance}
is wrong with verizon!?!?!?!?!?!  get your **bleep** straight, this is unacceptable.

0 Likes
KJRadz
0 Likes