Eris manufacturer warranty tied to original device, not replacement?! Say it ain't so!
porkbrains

According to Customer Service, it appears this is true.  This is the final insult from a company that refuses to acknowledge defects in the devices it carries.  When both phones I've received develop the constantly scrolling trackball issue and the manufacturer's warranty has nothing to do with the phone they've issued but only original purchase date, it's time to recognize a distinct lack of concern for the customer and move to another company.

I decided to use my upgrade for a used Incredible, but after I sat with it for a while, it is ridiculous that I am tied to this phone for the next 2 years when it would cost Verizon almost nothing to offer this as a replacement for a device with known issues... it might not have stung as much if the next gen of phones was available, but with no word on when and a 14 day swap period, I can't do it.  I was prepared to deal with this shoddy device until the new releases, but the phone is 95% unusable and VZW doesn't care.  The Incredible is going back (unopened, no restock fee for you!), I'm downgrading all of my 3 lines to minimum and moving on to another carrier.  

While I've had great experiences with some of the CS reps I've spoken to, this illogical lack of support for a known issue is just too much.  I'm done.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Eris manufacturer warranty tied to original device, not replacement?! Say it ain't so!
Grothka
Contributor - Level 3
Warranties through VZW are 1 year from the original device purchase no matter how many replacements of it you get. VZW will also offer a 90 day warranty for a replacement device if it is replaced right before the warranty runs out (so if you get the replacement in month 11 they will extend the warranty to month 14). If you didn't buy the extended warranty and you're outside of that time frame then you are out of luck. I would suggest getting a temporary phone from a friend or colleague (possibly buy a cheap one off of e-bay) until you find a phone that you want.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Eris manufacturer warranty tied to original device, not replacement?! Say it ain't so!
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
Yeah the warranty is the same for all carriers that have HTC. Tmobile, sprint, att. Basically you have a 1 year warranty on the original device. If phone gets replaced , the original warranty follows. I know that Verizon as a courtesy will give you a 90 day warranty or honor the original MANUFACTURER warranty. You should call HTC directly if you have any complaints on their warranty as the replacement phone also came from HTC. Verizon does not manufacture phones they just sell them.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You know I could find this post in one form or another on every single carrier known to man, and probably ones not known to man either.  No matter what manufacturer or what device it is.  warranties have always followed by the original date of purchase, and never start by the replacement date.

Honestly I believe this is a ploy and a rant because you wanted a "newer" device without having to pay for it.  That always seems to be the trend when I always here stories like this one.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

So I also take that you do not have the insurance?   Sometime you can have them work something out with you as a insurance claim but this is ajudgement call on Verizon.

0 Likes
Jay1993

Does this mean you can't replace the second HTC Droid Eris after the trackball goes out on it as well? I want to replace mine because I want to throw it at the wall every time the screen randomly scrolls.

0 Likes
Grothka
Contributor - Level 3
Warranties through VZW are 1 year from the original device purchase no matter how many replacements of it you get. VZW will also offer a 90 day warranty for a replacement device if it is replaced right before the warranty runs out (so if you get the replacement in month 11 they will extend the warranty to month 14). If you didn't buy the extended warranty and you're outside of that time frame then you are out of luck. I would suggest getting a temporary phone from a friend or colleague (possibly buy a cheap one off of e-bay) until you find a phone that you want.
0 Likes