Eris is JUNK!!!!!!!!!!
aaron1107

I am now on my 7th eris and they keep giving me the **bleep** cleaner phones(refurbished) my problems have ranged from not making or recieving calls,texts,emails. theyve all force closed numerous times and wont restart. i'm tired of this phone. has anyone else had these problems?

{word filter avoidance-subject line}

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Eris is JUNK!!!!!!!!!!
Joe_Evaristo
Contributor - Level 1

Yep, and from what I've read elsewhere, I guess I'm lucky: I'm "only" on my second one. Vibrate died on the first.

Currently, I'm particularly annoyed that HTC broke their Picture Message functionality of the stock messaging app in the MR4 update. More so, I'm annoyed that they refuse to provide any support on it whatsoever. Worse, they've given me 3 different stories about why Picture Messages are now 5 second slideshows:

1. "Oh, it always did that, even in Android 1.5"

2. "Yeah, you're right, we did change that in MR4. Maybe it doesn't make any sense to have combined the functionality of picture messages and slideshow messages and kept both labels, but we did mean to do that." (Paraphrased.)

3. "Why're you complaining to us? It's Google's fault. They made the change in Android 2.1. What, you have a picture of your phone that shows you've received picture messages correctly in 2.1 and only got them differently after MR4? We have no idea how that can be, it's Google's fault, they made the change in 2.1!" (Paraphrased.)

Instead of fixing what others are also reporting as a problem, HTC is trying to shift the blame and pretend it's not a problem. Verizon's in-store support said, "well, if HTC won't fix it, then there's nothing for us to fix either." A week ago I sent an e-mail to Verizon's customer service VP in my region to complain about the poor support from both HTC and Verizon....and they haven't bothered to get back to me. I felt forced to step it up a few days ago and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau--only to find out that HTC is rated D-.

Yeah, I'm tired of this phone, too. It's the worst experience I've ever had with a phone. And it certainly ranks up there as one of the worst customer support experiences I've ever had as well. I will certainly never buy another HTC product.

0 Likes
Dissappointed10

Eris is the biggest waste of money.  I was just told I could buy a refurbished phone of another model for $289.  Turns out it's only $310 for me to cancel.  I'm going to visit a store... and if they don't give me a reasonable alternative I'm going to cave in and buy an iPhone with AT&T.

0 Likes
Joe_Evaristo
Contributor - Level 1

Dissappointed10 wrote:

Eris is the biggest waste of money.  I was just told I could buy a refurbished phone of another model for $289.  Turns out it's only $310 for me to cancel.  I'm going to visit a store... and if they don't give me a reasonable alternative I'm going to cave in and buy an iPhone with AT&T.

Try filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. If enough of us make enough noise, they're going to have to fix the problems.

And write in to tech writers. If they keep getting the same tip from a lot of us customers being toyed around with, someone's bound to put it to print. And HTC and Verizon can't ignore that.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Wow I must have been a lucky one. I am still on my first Droid Eris that I got mid November. My sister hates hers (her words, she wanted an iphone but couldn't get out of her family plan with verizon)

While I have some issues with my Droid Eris freezing after the 2.1 OTA, it has been nowhere near the amount I am reading in the forums. Once I stopped trying to connect to a WEP network at work, I can go a weeks or more before restarting the phone for any reason.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dee2363

im on my 3 eris. i agree its junk. it gets very hot. i called and they told me there are no reports of problems. my first one was brand new and i extended my contract 2 more years cuz my blackberry had issues. then they sent me a refurb saying it was like new. then a new battery cuz it still got hot. the SD card got destroyed. now the new battery is giving me the same problems and its 3 days old. hate this phone. id like a brand new phone and not this eris

0 Likes
Lobo74

My wife and I both got the Eris back in May during their buy 1 get one special.  Neither of us is having any problems whatsoever.  Honestly, for the $50 price tag I couldn't be happier.  That said, we do have a line eligible for upgrade and I just might get an incredible or X and pass the Eris down to one of my kids. 

0 Likes
sandy4

YES! YES! YES!!!  I've also had tons of problems with the Eris!  I am currently on my 4th Eris in only 5 months, and am already having issues with this one after having it only 2 weeks!!!  Verizon gives me the run around and denies having other Eris complaints/issues.  I've been having a lot of issues with not being able to make a call, not able to receive a call, not being heard on the other end, force closing, and the list goes on and on!  Four phones in 5 months and still with a problem is sad and unacceptable!  I am beyond frustrated at this point!  Verizon could care less.  Afterall, it's no skin off them.  They keep giving us refurbished phones (no doubt we are getting each other's phones/problems), and then we end up giving up and still have to pay them $350 to get the heck out!  With my current contract not allowing me a new upgrade until Oct 2011, I have no doubt I'll be going to the iPhone very very soon!      

0 Likes
Lobo74

I came to the Eris from the iphone 3G and no way I would go back.  AT&T service is beyond dismal, at least in Albuquerque where I am.  I would sooner switch to the most basic phone on verizon then go back to aTT.  YMMV.  Good luck.

0 Likes