Re: Eris Update 2.1
sfraise

I've been waiting on this update since I bought the phone a few months ago, boy was I disappointed!

Browser crashes all the time, text message crashes all the time, the entire phone crashes at least once a day, contacts disappeared, my screens got reset, {word filter avoidance}
was Verizon and HTC thinking?!? Calls seem to drop more as well. However....... the internet does seem to work faster since the update which would be great if the browser didn't crash every few seconds.

I shouldn't have to do a full factory reset, call Verizon to reinclude my apps, and start completely over. What about the paid apps I would lose how would I get those back again?

Surely there is a more stable version of 2.1 for the Eris in the works right?

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
I would suspect that upgrade testing is done on a base model install and won't include many of the apps that are having issues with the OTA. However, it is strongly recommended by those familiar with the processes of OTA/Upgrading/Patching that a system reset should be done. Others in this forum have mentioned they were easily able to get their apps(paid) back, you coauld also use Astro File Browser to back up all apps to your phone and then reinstall them when completed. There are very very very very very few upgrades in the technology world that go without side effects. The most succesfull upgrades are actually called clean uninstalls. If microsoft would enforce this on PCs instead of allowing "upgrades", so many people would be used to them by now, but sadly many people don't understand the differences. Good luck! If you ahve any direct questions, please post and we can answer them as best as we can.
0 Likes
mcarter2442

Seriously wishing I had an iPhone.

I just switched to Verizon a couple months ago because I wanted their service. I loved my phone ... until this new upgrade.

Lost a lot of my contacts, most apps constantly forceclose, half the time I can't even make a simple phone call, screens freeze all the time, issues with txting where nothing shows up while typing. Is my phone a defect or are others having these problems as well??

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
If your issues started with the upgrade I would suggest a system backup for your apps, which can be done using Astro File manager and then the backup option in the program. I have all my contacts under google so you may want to see exactly how your contacts are on your phone. Google has worked fine through my reinstalls/reset. Any individual apps that contain data that you can back up, I would suggest doing that as well. Make a personal inventory of your phones programs/widgets. Then you can call or go to your local verizon tech desk and ask them about doing a factory reset. It is a straight forward process but some people do not feel comfortable doing it themselves. It is a lengthy process. It is in fact, from what I understand, the same thing apple does. When you get an update to the newer form of the OS it is reinstalled so they tell you that it is neccasary to backup all important information. There are some minor updates pushed out similar to the 1.5 minor updates the eris had. This is more than a simplified update and the next version will be even bigger, but our Eris phones may not be subject to that update, nothing confirming or denying the upgrade path for us at this time. Your phone will run much better and I would rid of if not all the greatest majority of your issues.
0 Likes
gemro311

I agree MrHost. . A hard reset will take care of most if not all issues. I did it  to resolve a Data Moble issue , and I was running the 2.1 leak version 3.

I strongly urge all those who say they keep losing their contacts...to go to GMail on thier PC's/Mac and update their Contacts there instead of your phones...it's simpler and cleaner.

Any apps purchased will not dissapear from the market place . However , any free apps downloaded WILL disappear if you reboot your phone after the reset. is complete,.so make a backup of your apps using Astro File manager..they are saved to your SD Card. Clarification ....your downloads will still be there , but any downloads not installed after the reset and you reboot (turn off/on) will disappear. Go for it, you will be much happier!

0 Likes