Re: Eris Update 2.1
LooseCannon
@ Dangerous_Dave Share the wealth my man... Are you really just going to leave us in suspense about the text to speech program you now have that is so wonderful?????
0 Likes
LooseCannon
Correction, speech to text.....
0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

LooseCannon wrote:
@ Dangerous_Dave Share the wealth my man... Are you really just going to leave us in suspense about the text to speech program you now have that is so wonderful?????

Not wealth my friend...love.  I'm sharin' the love.  :smileyhappy:

Disclaimer: I got this tip from another member and it has worked well for me.  I also installed it on my daughter's Eris and she loves it.  If you do this and somehow manage to brick your phone, the responsibility lies on you...not me.

Ok, here goes. First, if you don't already have Astro file manager on your Eris...get it!  It's not only good for this, it's just a fantastic free app in the market for managing everything that resides on your SD card.  It even allows you to back up your apps to your SD card and restore them later.  Quite possibly one of the most useful free apps in the market.

Next, download from this link that says Low resolution version for Android 1.6 and up to your SD card, preferably via your PC.  It's a zipped file, so you'll need to unzip or extract the files on the card.  For that matter, you can unzip it on your PC and just copy the file that says HTC_IME to your card.  Now, using Astro file manager, tap on the file that says HTC_IME and open and install it using Astro's app manager.  If you do not already have third party apps enabld on the phone, it will prompt you to do so.  Enable third party apps and install HTC_IME.  When the install is complete, go into settings->Language and keyboard, and enable HTC_IME mod by checking the box next to it.  Now exit settings and go anywhere on the phone that gives you a text box, like mail or messages.  Do a LONG press in the text box and it will open a box that says "input method". Tap where it says input method.  That will open another box.  Tap on "HTC_IME mod" and voila`...you now have a microphone on your keyboard!  Tap the microphone and it will act just like when you're doing a voice search, except it will recognize commands like "period", or "comma", or "question mark", or "exclamation point".  If you speak clearly, it works very well!  You'll find that you've lost the little key that makes the keyboard disappear...just use your "back" soft key.

Are ya feelin' the love yet??  Feel free to kudo me when you do.  :smileywink:

D Dave

0 Likes
LooseCannon

Every time someone says the phrase "brick your phone" it makes me extremely nervous, I have the file downloaded and on my SD card. What do you think the actual chances of bricking are?!

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

LooseCannon wrote:

Every time someone says the phrase "brick your phone" it makes me extremely nervous, I have the file downloaded and on my SD card. What do you think the actual chances of bricking are?!

Somewhere between slim and none.  But it is a litigious society we live in, eh?  It's really a simple process, but some people have simple minds.  Ya know what I mean?  You know the type...the ones who can screw up an iron ball with a rubber mallet. If there's a way to mess this up...they'll find it. :smileysurprised:

0 Likes
LooseCannon

Well install is complete, so far seems to work GREAT! Will without a doubt take a little getting used to.

MUCH THANKS Dangerous_Dave!   :smileyhappy:

I only wish it was a little better with names (gotta take the good with the bad)

Have you noticed a way to have user predicted words?

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

LooseCannon wrote:

Have you noticed a way to have user predicted words?

I haven't really had much time to play wth it, but you made me look. If you go into settings->languge and keyboard->HTC_IME mod settings, there's some cool and useful stuff in there. You can add your own words in user dictionary (like names), and there are a TON of other options, like making a finger swipe delete the last word or the last sentence. There are really alot of options in there. But I think it would be impossible to have predictive text like when you're typing. When you're typing, t knows half the word before you type the other half, but when speaking, it doesn't know the word until you say it, and then it's aready done. But I'm sure a little time spent tweaking the settings can getit even more to your liking. D Dave
0 Likes
ErisMan

I emailed HTC and they told me to do a factory data reset and that they were aware that some of these issues have happened, specifically mentioning the missing widgets.  

I may try this tomorrow after double checking that I have backed up everything everywhere.  

I know someone previously had mentioned this may not accomplish anything, I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and try it I think.

0 Likes
blueydgypsy

I tried the factory reset and it didn't do anything for me.....I guess I'll be squawking at verizon today....thanks for everyone's input and assistance.

0 Likes
ErisMan

I am trying the reset now and giving HTC the benefit of the doubt that they now what the problem is.  We'll see.

0 Likes