Re: Eris Update 2.1
buddha724
Enthusiast - Level 3

lakleeman wrote:

The wife's Eris finally got the update message.

During the update, it said I need to remove some apps because it needs more space to perform the update. So, I removed some apps and it restarted. Now, I see the animated circle with the message "loading..." It's been doing this for at least 45 minutes ... I powered off and on, and get the same message and animation.

Is something wrong with my upgrade process? How long has the upgrade taken you? an hour?! or just a few minutes? Maybe I should call Verizon...

It should only take 15 minutes at most.  check out androidcentral.com for info on how to do the update manually if you're still having issues with the ota update..  it's easy and you get the same file as the ota update. 

0 Likes
Geekhood

I live in Southern Maryland, and I just got the notice that the software update was available.  I was at home so I switched to WiFi to do the install.  Everything went fine.  Took about 15 or so minutes.  I have not explored any major enhancements.  However, the interface alone appears to be perkier.  New Icons for many of the apps.  Pressing the home key twice gives your a look at all you screens.  HOWEVER - my prior screen setup are gone, as well as my icons I placed on the home page, so there will be a little work to get back to how I like it.  I can not wait to test the Google Maps enhancements.  I must add that I love the Eris - and am not the kind of person who HAS TO have the latest (i.e. the Incredible).  I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email, calendar and contact functions.  I sync my calendar and contacts to the Eris;.  I have my Verizon email to view and reply if necessary, but use Thunderbird to file, create folders, etc. on my laptop.  Hope you get the update SOON!!!!

0 Likes
neoigd

my girlfriend got the update but i havent. North California.

aftger her phone updatd, it keeps getting a android.process.media force close error and nothing i do keeps it from constantly appearing.  every app that is part of OS seems to trigger it.  have removed several 3rd party apps with no luck.

0 Likes
ksd

Got the update early this morning, I live in Central NY, Finger Lakes region.  After almost giving up on it ever arriving, I found I like most of it.  On the Verizon Wireless site there is a page devoted to how wonderful the new update is, and what it includes.  Unfortunately I feel a bit grumpy since one of the new features requires a 2.99 per month subscription!  The subscription is so we can actually USE the Visual VM. :robotsad: A very nice feature, meaning one does not have to listen to all the voice mails to get to the one we want, but I think being charged even MORE to use this otherwise lovely piece of technology is a bit much. Otherwise, the Google maps and the Navigator are really worth paying so much for this little beauty.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
ErisMan

I wonder if this is one of the causes to the incomplete update, I too, received a message I had to delete some apps to make room for the download, which I ended up doing.  I wonder if this threw it in a little funk.  I am sure many other people had to as well...

0 Likes
ksd

Good thought. What happens whn these little funks develop? Does the 2.1 update get updated?

0 Likes
Partsman

I received the update this morning...Westerly, RI. It had no problems downloading because I hardly have any apps on my phone. I restarted it when it was done and noticed a few things I had to do to get it "right" again...

I had to move the apps that I had on the home screens around a little...add/delete some

I had to sync the phone with the HTC program in my PC to get my contacts back

I had to call *228 to program my phone so the internet would work correctly

0 Likes
Pegleg

This is certainly one screwed-up way to do a system update!

0 Likes
ErisMan

I agree but I wonder for every one of us that had a problem if there are thousands that had it work perfectly.  I also wonder if HTC reads these forums, I hope so.  HELP!

0 Likes
NightHawk34691

I just did my OTA update and it went as smooth as silk..   I did lose half my contacts, but all I had to do is sync with my google account and I got them all back with no problems. All of my existing apps were still there.  With this new update, its definately a nice step from 1.5, with alot of eye candy and some new features that the 1.5 didnt have. My phone runs very smooth with NO lag.  No complaints here..

0 Likes