Eris Droid and Google Navigation
bradybunch

I first got the Motorola Droid and that has the Google turn-bu-turn navigation for free. The Eris Droid, however, had the Google maps but not the turn-by-turn navigation. You can purchase navigation applications but they are not as good as Google. Anyone knows why this Droid doesn't have the Google navigation? Is it the 1.5 OS?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Eris Droid and Google Navigation
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

could be the 1.5 version. or it could be that Motorola teamed up with Google (Google logo i actually on the phone itself) and thus is able to have access to Googles maps

0 Likes
bradybunch

I think you might be right. I just hoped that someone in Verizon would know more about this. They have no clue.

0 Likes
riksco

I have the Eris and my Google maps has the turn-by-yurn directions

0 Likes
techspert
Contributor - Level 1

riksco wrote:

I have the Eris and my Google maps has the turn-by-yurn directions

The question is about navigation, not directions.  I believe the Google maps nav function is an Android 2.0 feature.  Not sure if it's exclusive to the Droid, but I think it definitely requires 2.0 which would mean any other android based handset would not be capable of it yet since everything else out there runs 1.5/1.6 at best.

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

Google Navigation is native to Android 2.0 shipped with the Moto Droid. The Eris uses Android 1.5. However, HTC should be releasing Android 2.0 with Sense UI  for the Eris sometime in the next few months at the latest. The Eris will then have the same Turn-by-Turn Google Navigation as the Droid.

The patch(es) should be OTA....

0 Likes