Eris Android 1.5 intergration to 2.0
wtc

After research, I see where the Motorola Droid runs on Android 2.0 and the HTC Droid runs on Android 1.5, from PC World (However, while Sense may be more advanced, only the Droid will launch with Android 2.0. The Eris is stuck on Android 1.5 until HTC can fully integrate its Sense interface. That means Web browsing will be a little slower, virtual keyboard typing will be a little tougher, and you'll miss out on other perks such Google Maps Navigation)

Does anyone know when this full intergration will take place?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Eris Android 1.5 intergration to 2.0
firemadz
Enthusiast - Level 1

While at the Verizon store yesterday, I was told by two of their technicians that the Eris upgrade to 2.1 will be released on Jan. 20.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Big_Red_Loyal

Brenda [edit] (Marketing Executive)

has told bloggers the Droid Eris will be getting an update that will allow the Eris to make use of applications such as Google Navigation sometime during the 1st Quarter of 2010.  So, between now and the end of March. However, Google Navigation will run on Android 1.6 and she didn't confirm which Android OS the Eris will be upgraded to. So it could be anything from 1.6, 2.0, 2.0.1, or 2.1. We'll just have to wait and see.

On a personal note.  I have the Motorola Droid, but I like the Eris design far better.  

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah current rumor mill has it that HTC is skipping 1.6 which we knew and 2.0 which suprised a lot of people and going straight to 2.1.  HTC sure has 2.1 since the Nexus 1 is launching with 2.1 so I am assuming they will be porting Sense which my understanding is the Nexus 1 doesn't have to the Eris/Hero probably by mid February if I had to guess.

I also have the Motorola Droid but really wanted to like the Eris better.  If I could have made the Eris' on screen keyboard work for me I would have gotten it instead.  Apparently that too was a difference in OS.  Who knew.

0 Likes
firemadz
Enthusiast - Level 1

While at the Verizon store yesterday, I was told by two of their technicians that the Eris upgrade to 2.1 will be released on Jan. 20.

0 Likes
oddestfellow

I'm currently in the market for a new phone and the Droid and Eris are top on my list due to the google nav (which I realize the Eris doesn't currently have).  Does anyone know if the 2.1 upgrade was launched yesterday?  Also, once the Eris is upgraded to 2.1, will it have the voice to text capabilities of the Nexus One?  Sorry if this is a **bleep** question as I'm kind of a newbee with the whole smartphone thing.  Thanks!

0 Likes
YRUaskin

was told yesterday in a Verizon store by two techs that it would be "first week in February"

0 Likes
buddha724
Enthusiast - Level 3

YRUaskin wrote:

was told yesterday in a Verizon store by two techs that it would be "first week in February"

If only that had been true...

0 Likes
tachyon
Enthusiast - Level 2

So much for the level of info the VZW techs have.  It is now April 30 and we are still running OS1.5 on Eris!

I would like to have 2.0 or higher so I have access to the Google translation/speechrecognition module.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
well some of us still are....muhahahahhaha.. Almost there, said the Mother to her kids
0 Likes
Update isn't there...And its may.Are you sure that your problem has been solved!!!!!
Theritz

Yeah I bet now that it is may your problem has not been solved huh..First quarter according to quotes of Verizon exec's, but yet here it is now may and nothing I do believe they have figured that we either don't care or that we wont know what we don't have. Commit to what you say, go figure Verizon not holding up to what they sat there going to do!!

0 Likes