Eris 2.1 - webs and voice txt
LetsgoFishing
Contributor - Level 1

i got my 2.1 update yesterday.  question, has anyone noticed that certain websites you were able to access on 1.5 is now scrambled on 2.1?  for instance, the VZW forum.  i had no problem reading it on my 1.5 but w/ 2.1....lot of the text on the screen is written over top of each other.  it's also doing it on my company's website.  is there a setting i can change to make it read easier?  i did the pinch & zoom to see if it would look better if screen is bigger....nope.  still scrambled.

my other question is....how do you use voice to text?  i thought i read somewhere you can use this feature even when composing an email.  i have tried texting and emailing and i do not get the option to do speech to txt. what am i doing wrong?  am i suppose to get an app for it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Eris 2.1 - webs and voice txt
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

LetsgoFishing wrote:

i got my 2.1 update yesterday.  question, has anyone noticed that certain websites you were able to access on 1.5 is now scrambled on 2.1?  for instance, the VZW forum.  i had no problem reading it on my 1.5 but w/ 2.1....lot of the text on the screen is written over top of each other.  it's also doing it on my company's website.  is there a setting i can change to make it read easier?  i did the pinch & zoom to see if it would look better if screen is bigger....nope.  still scrambled.

my other question is....how do you use voice to text?  i thought i read somewhere you can use this feature even when composing an email.  i have tried texting and emailing and i do not get the option to do speech to txt. what am i doing wrong?  am i suppose to get an app for it?

I have a Droid and haven't had that problem so I hope others will commentt.  Can you 1) clear your browser cache?  and 2) try another browser? Dolphin, Opera, Xscope, Skyfire, Steel should be available.

On speech to text, I understand you do not have a microphone icon on your keyboard as I do.  is there no icon anywhere?  I read Better Keyboard has one; and the vlingo app may work.  I didn't find the speech to text functtion accurate enough to be very useful.

Let us know what happens.

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

steveanderson13 wrote:

I have a Droid and haven't had that problem so I hope others will commentt.  Can you 1) clear your browser cache?  and 2) try another browser? Dolphin, Opera, Xscope, Skyfire, Steel should be available.

On speech to text, I understand you do not have a microphone icon on your keyboard as I do.  is there no icon anywhere?  I read Better Keyboard has one; and the vlingo app may work.  I didn't find the speech to text functtion accurate enough to be very useful.

Let us know what happens.

Definitely follow Steve's advice about the browser. I'm not sure it'll help, but it definitely won't hurt. I like Dolphin a lot, but with so many choices, see what works best for you.

@steve - you don't like the speech-to-text? I've had pretty good luck with it and it's definitely helpful when shooting a quick mesage off while I'm otherwise occupied. It does come up with some crazy stuff sometimes though. My Moto Droid gave me more accurate results than my Incredible does though. No idea why that would be. Oh well, to each their own, right? I guess I hadn't really heard much from other people regarding their experience with it, maybe a new post would be a good way to see what folks think about it.

0 Likes
LetsgoFishing
Contributor - Level 1
I did clear cache..nothing. I installed the dolphin browser & all the sites look better. Wonder why the stock browser don't work well with 2.1 As for txt to speech..don't work on stock but I downloaded handscent and txt to speech works but I'm not crazy abt it. Thanks for the tip. Also heard battery life is better with 2.1. So far its not..seem to burn up quicker. Will keep a watch on that.
0 Likes
LetsgoFishing
Contributor - Level 1
I'm also interested in what others have to say abt txt to speech.
0 Likes
icudoc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Even with 1.5, I used the speak to text function on Handcent SMS.  It varies with accuracy, but can come in handy for short messages.  In case you didn't know, when you receive a message, you can have it read out loud to you.  That was more of a fun feature since you can have it read back in different languages and with a British accent.  

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

LetsgoFishing wrote:
I did clear cache..nothing. I installed the dolphin browser & all the sites look better. Wonder why the stock browser don't work well with 2.1 As for txt to speech..don't work on stock but I downloaded handscent and txt to speech works but I'm not crazy abt it. Thanks for the tip. Also heard battery life is better with 2.1. So far its not..seem to burn up quicker. Will keep a watch on that.

Since I have a Motorola, not an Eris, I just have to go by what other people say.  1) I read that in "Settings" there is a speech/text entry.  2) I read one person turned off keyboard  then turned it back on.  I believe that is in "Applications" "Manage running applications".  3) I downloaded a Speech/Text app which was a library but don't know if that helped or what it did.  4) Does Better Keyboard work?

Re Battery life.  You've probably had your phone a while, so you are familiar with it.  But I installed the wideget "Power Control/Manager/Some such and it toggles display brightness/sync/wifi/bluetooth.  I keep all off unless I need them.  I understand HTC has its own sync though.  Minimizing sync will increase your battery life because it reduces searching/polling.  Is that available on the Eris?

Good luck, hope it's working well.

0 Likes
gpa111

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=624416

Obviously download the low res v.25 it is an apk.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

LetsgoFishing wrote:
Also heard battery life is better with 2.1. So far its not..seem to burn up quicker. Will keep a watch on that.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/19176-optimize-your-droid-eris-battery-life-read.html

0 Likes