Re: Eris 2.0/2.1 update apparently not happening
clearlycrystal

I read these Eris update threads every so often, but had to pipe in on this one, because if you're going to believe something a Verizon SALES rep tells you, that could possibly prevent a legitimate upgrade to your phone, then go ahead. But keep in mind, that person behind the counter at that STORE is a SALES person. They are there for the simple task of bringing home a paycheck, with commission. They want you to do whatever they tell them. They think you are dumb, and will believe them, and will go home and root your phone and do it wrong and turn it into a brick and come back the next day to buy the Incredible, or another phone and land them a nice hefty commission which just does nothing but take money from your pocket and put it into their pocket.

If you're THAT concerned about your phone, download the leak, and deal with it when the upgrade comes. If it hasn't come when your warranty is up, well, it won't matter anyways, will it? If it does... go find the software to put you back to 1.5. It took me a minute on google to search for it. Otherwise, is all this griping and complaining really going to do anyone or you any good? Verizon certainly doesn't care, they have millions of other customers who are quite happy.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

supitsmike wrote:

I don't think they do, and no one promised you anything.

Mike, you've reiterated that a couple of times now, but I'm here to tell you, my Verizon rep told me at time of sale that the Eris would be updated to 2.1 on Jan 17th. I took that to mean 2010, but I guess they didn't actually specify. I didn't get it in writing, but they did in fact tell me at time of sale the phone would be updated. That sealed the deal for me.  Looks more like an empty promise with each passing day.  I wonder what Verizon would do if Eris owners started talking class-action lawsuit??  Anybody got the number for the Federal Trade Commission??

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

Dangerous_Dave wrote:

supitsmike wrote:

I don't think they do, and no one promised you anything.

Mike, you've reiterated that a couple of times now, but I'm here to tell you, my Verizon rep told me at time of sale that the Eris would be updated to 2.1 on Jan 17th. I took that to mean 2010, but I guess they didn't actually specify. I didn't get it in writing, but they did in fact tell me at time of sale the phone would be updated. That sealed the deal for me.  Looks more like an empty promise with each passing day.  I wonder what Verizon would do if Eris owners started talking class-action lawsuit??  Anybody got the number for the Federal Trade Commission??

Yeah, here you go -

• Online: Use our secure complaint form.
  • Phone: Call our toll-free helpline: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); 
    TTY: 1-866-653-4261
  • Mail: Write to: 
    Federal Trade Commission
    Consumer Response Center
    600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20580
There. Now call them and get it all out of your system. Tell them about the sales rep at VZW who mislead you and have them launch a full-scale investigation into the situation. I'm sure you'll single-handedly bring Big Red to its knees, cowering before you in awe and fear. Let me know how that works out for you...
0 Likes
Kranky77

Just FYI there have been many suits filed and settled with the FTC over "Misleading and/or Deceptive Sales Tactics". I personally have no intent to either file or participate in one should it be filed, but unless you were with me when I made my purchase you don’t know what I was promised by the Sales Rep in order to gain the sale.

0 Likes
Androidatic
Enthusiast - Level 3

I ordered the Incredible yesterday.  I actually received a call from the person at Verizon's Executive Relations department who helped me out originally. She asked why I hadn't ordered the Incredible yet since she made the concession to allow me to get it.  She actually went into my account and simply changed the date of my contract renewal, allowing me to get the phone.  It was as easy as that for Verizon, so don't ever let them tell you that they 'can't do it". They can do anything they want if you get to the right people.

As it turns out, once a complaint goes to Executive Relations, the representative that handles the complaint MUST close out the complaint in their system.  This means that there has to be a resolution to the complaint.  So if you keep pushing and don't give up on your (reasonable) demand, the rep must find a way to resolve it.  Until she had confirmation that I had ordered the phone, her complaint file remained open.

I have always received good responses from Verizon in the past...once I complained enough.  If your demand is reasonable, they will concede to you eventually.  You still need to go throug the normal channels before you go to Executive Relations.  They will pull up your account and every conversation that you have with Verizon is documented on your account.  Verizon doesn't make it easy, but they will work with you if you make enough noise and get to the right people.

On an added note, she did say that Verizon was working with HTC on the 2.1 but that they had no date of release.  I asked if she could guarantee that it would be released at some point, and she said that although they are working on it, it's not a definite as there is a possibility that they might not be able to get it to work.  So as of now, it's still a possibility that it will be released.

0 Likes
wec

I  filed a complaint with the FTC against Verizon regarding the Eris early yesterday.  I know of a few others that have as well. I received a complaint number via email from the FTC and am waiting to hear back from them.  I also directed them to an Eris forum where there are a number of disgruntled, agitated, Verizon-Eris customers that have been complaining about being mislead.   If everyone stopped crying and flailing around like a bunch of headless chickens clucking empty threats and actually did something maybe we would not be here.   

And for those of you who think, what a waist of time we are just a bunch of helpless ameba's quit complaining and get up off your A**es and do something about it.  File a complaint with the FTC it only takes a couple of minutes. 

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2
Well ya know there diggity dog, maybe I'm just falling prey to "media hype", but I do hear on the news occasionally that large trusted corporations are found guilty of intentionally misleading customers for the sake of profits. Whoda thunk it? And if you think Verizon is too good for that, I'm sure they'll be happy to send you a shiny red Verizon pin of your own. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means. But we're not just talking about a handful of people here claiming "my salesman said........", it's A LOT of people who chose the Eris on the premise it WOULD be upgraded to 2.1 soon! If you go back to some of the older threads on this subject, you'll find posts from me repeatedly telling people to be patient, but it's been almost five months now. I installed 2.1 on my wife's Eris because we bought it used, so no warranty to worry about. It works VERY WELL! That's what's so irritating to me...I know firsthand how much better it is. I've worked in the customer service industry for a very long time, so I've learned to keep my personal expectations realistic. Five months is unreasonable, especially given Verizon and HTC's never-ending dissemination of mis-information and empty promises. And please...no more semantics about the word "promise".
0 Likes
dcrocket63

Dangerous Dave...where did you get the 2.1 upgrade that you installed on your wife's Eris?  I've seen a few options out there, and was curious to find a VZW customer who did one of the "pirate" upgrades with no problems.

Thanks!

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

Dangerous_Dave wrote:
Well ya know there diggity dog, maybe I'm just falling prey to "media hype", but I do hear on the news occasionally that large trusted corporations are found guilty of intentionally misleading customers for the sake of profits. Whoda thunk it? And if you think Verizon is too good for that, I'm sure they'll be happy to send you a shiny red Verizon pin of your own. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means. But we're not just talking about a handful of people here claiming "my salesman said........", it's A LOT of people who chose the Eris on the premise it WOULD be upgraded to 2.1 soon! If you go back to some of the older threads on this subject, you'll find posts from me repeatedly telling people to be patient, but it's been almost five months now. I installed 2.1 on my wife's Eris because we bought it used, so no warranty to worry about. It works VERY WELL! That's what's so irritating to me...I know firsthand how much better it is. I've worked in the customer service industry for a very long time, so I've learned to keep my personal expectations realistic. Five months is unreasonable, especially given Verizon and HTC's never-ending dissemination of mis-information and empty promises. And please...no more semantics about the word "promise".

Here's my point, Dave - Folks need to either do something or don't do something. I hear a lot of complaining here, but that's all it is - complaining. No one of any real consequence from VZW is reading these forums. That should be obvious at this point. In fact, that's not the point of these forums to begin with, they're here for users to help users and for folks to talk about various things.

You asked for the contact info, I gave it to you; simple. I agree that there is a valid complaint, but I also know how to choose my battles and save myself from unnecessary and completely pointless stress. I'm in the same boat here as I have two Eris's in my home, but rather than wait for a massive company to handle the situation at their own speed I just did it myself the same way you did. Everything's working and I have no worries. Problem solved.

It's also worth noting that there ARE only a handful of complaints regarding the phone. Measuring off of a user forum is never an accurate depiction of a product's satisfaction rating because, in general, the majority of the people there are only there because they had a problem and those who don't have a problem don't usually go to the forums. Forum use is not exactly a massively widespread activity. If you were to walk through a mall or up and down your street and take a survey of how many people frequent this type of forum just to browse, I think you'll find that the numbers are pretty small. So it stands to reason that you would see a lot complaints here since the upset ones are far more likely to be here than the satisfied ones. Also look at the fact that with 80 million subscribers, a "LOT" of people isn't really all that much to VZW. 

Sure, you see news stories about people who have gone to some advocacy group and gotten results, but I haven't heard of anyone here (other than the couple above who just posted) that has actually done it. So if you're going to do it, then actually do it. It just doesn't seem effective or productive to flood the forums here with thread after thread of people complaining about something like this and threatening repeatedly to do something and then doing nothing about it. The only ones who read this are the people who are already mad about the problem, the people who don't know what you're talking about and just want some help fixing their contact list or changing their background, and the ones who are here trying to help out. So you're essentially preaching to the choir, spinning your wheels, kicking a dead horse, etc, etc, etc.

Again; I don't take issue with the problem at all and my intent wasn't to flame. In fact I can empathize with you. I have two of the same phones. I just don't understand the purpose of the continued threats against VZW in this forum when its painfully evident that this isn't the place to go to get results for anything other than the most basic of issues. It's like yelling at the maintenance worker at IBM because your new Lenovo laptop didn't work right and demanding satisfaction. He can't do anything about it, even if he actually cared. The few VZW employees who do come here are in the same spot. Sure they can "send a message" or whatever, but you've seen how far that goes. The FTC info is posted above, jump in there and make your voice heard from someone who might actually do something about it, but you're wasting your time here.

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

dcrocket63 wrote:

Dangerous Dave...where did you get the 2.1 upgrade that you installed on your wife's Eris?  I've seen a few options out there, and was curious to find a VZW customer who did one of the "pirate" upgrades with no problems.

Thanks!

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Android-Devices/HTC-Droid-Eris-2-1-leak-version-3/m-p/192174

0 Likes