Re: Eris 2.0/2.1 update apparently not happening
buddha724
Enthusiast - Level 3

ZOMG finally some sort of official mention of an update coming soon!  Hopefully "soon" is actually soon and not 6 months from now.  Hopefully the poster that mentioned the .pdf about his wife's Droid being posted a week or so before her update was on the right track!  Our patience has been stretched but it looks like it may finally be rewarded....

I almost rooted my phone last night but decided to wait until the end of the month to see what would happen since I've seen rumors on various sites about a projected May 15th update... hopefully the decision to wait will pay off.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
Can we lock this thread. 4Ever...OMG...Could a MOD also give us forum devotes an ofifical date for the Eris release. You can choose to email anyone of us, but you know it will be copied on here for everyoen to see anyway. Let us know. Thanks for the great MODing.
0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

supitsmike wrote:

JWS1956 wrote:

I too spent an extended phone call to VZ customer service the other day.  They nor NTC will confirm any release date, if any, for the 2.1.  The rep kept telling me that they will continue to market the Eris along with the Incredible.  That the Incredible was not a replacement for the Eris.  They also said that the update was coming out..... how many dates did they say.  Hmmmm.. Should they be believed? 

While it is true, most of us signed a 2 year contract, I do believe that Verizon could be held accountable for marketing a faulty product and not doing anything about it.

Forget the promises of navigation and other improvements.  The Eris has issues of problems.  All one has to do it read the forums to find this to be true.  

If they can't or won't fix my Eris, I would expect an upgrade to a phone that does work.  If they put out a faulty product then they need to be held accountable for that issue. 

Yes, the phone for what works on it is a great phone.  But I along with others have issues with the things that do not work on the phone.  If I pay for something along with paying for a month fee, I expect it to work all the time. 

I understand that phone service is related to area, weather, and other issues.  But that  should have nothing to do with the phone system working at 100%.  Should it? 

Where in any way, shape, or form did Verizon "Market" the Eris advertising that 2.1 was coming out? They didn't. The phone works, you may not get all the components that WE have, but your phone works as intended. There was a fix from HTC with small glitches such as the unlock screen, etc., however you weren't "promised" 2.1. There is no documentation whatsoever that proves it.

Hi, supitsmike. I think you do a great job here in the forum and I'm sure the complaints are maddening amid the multifold rumors constantly flying around the clutternet.  Which let me to search for official "promises" to validate forum members complaints.  I see that many of the rumors are poorly cited; sometimes two sources just reference each other.  Well, that must make it true, huh?  Anyway, on 12/04/09, Verizon spokesperson Brenda Raney was quoted by CNET as stating the Eris would be upgraded in the first quarter.  I think this is documented proof of a promise; I don't hold it against Verizon.  The "first quarter" was probably in error as everything else I've seen (HTC, Motorola, etc) stated "first half".  And I'm sure it was difficult determining the upgrade path: 1.6?, 2.0?, 2.1?  Android has developed extremely rapidly, making it diffficult for everyone to keep up.  I imagine the greater holdup was Google first, then HTC.  My Droid update has worked well, so I'm sure it was well tested though it was supposedly "delayed" (Not to my knowledge).  Well, congratulations to all Eris owners and welcome to the 2.1 club!

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2
This is almost the definition of irony...look at the title of this thread and look where we are now. Like I always say...the internet is a valuable source of **bleep**. It was one week ago today that I called Verizon to say 'where the heck is my update?', and they said 'update??? what update???' Gotta love it.
0 Likes
Androidatic
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I was wrong, and I'm glad I was.  I'm glad that Eris owners are getting 2.1 in the very near future.  It's nice to see Verizon fulfulling their "promise".  Another good thing is that the 2.1 update will hopefully inflate eBay prices a bit so I can get more for my Eris when my Incrdible is received.

0 Likes
jazdad

I was on the phone last week with Verizon when my Eris started giving OS errors.  They said that it looked like the phone had started to update and then locked up.  I asked about when the update was going to happen and was told that about 1000 phones per day are receiving the update.  I had to do a factory reset of the phone to get it working correctly again, and it's still on version 1.5.  Hopefully the update push will hit soon.

0 Likes
webmaster

I just spoke with Amber who is a tech support supervisor and was completely shut down on this problem (HTC eris 2.1 update). All of the well documented phone problems since the update are now happening to my wifes phone and our business is suffering because of it. How can we be compensated for business and customers already lost by my company due to this problem? When i asked who is responsible for the update coming on to the phone, she blamed HTC. My issue is that we bought our phone from verizon and pay money to verizon so why am i needing to call HTC? They are taking advantage of the convoluted mess of having three companies involved being google, HTC and Verizon. Getting the same useless phone as a replacement is not the answer to our problems as we continually lose money with our phone based business. My wife and I were both very happy customers at Verizon until this update and the response. We had a fair proposal that would make the situation right which Verizon will not agree to. Amber compared it to buying a tv at walmart and that any problems with the item must be taken up with the manufacturer outside of the warranty. I say that is apples and oranges since a phone is much different than a TV. This kind of dumb analogy is an insult. It’s more like the cable company(verizon) selling you a tv then zapping it with something that breaks it. Please fix this VERIZON or you will hear from a lawyer soon and lose many customers!

0 Likes
Devil505

webmaster wrote:

I just spoke with Amber who is a tech support supervisor and was completely shut down on this problem (HTC eris 2.1 update). All of the well documented phone problems since the update are now happening to my wifes phone and our business is suffering because of it. How can we be compensated for business and customers already lost by my company due to this problem? When i asked who is responsible for the update coming on to the phone, she blamed HTC. My issue is that we bought our phone from verizon and pay money to verizon so why am i needing to call HTC? They are taking advantage of the convoluted mess of having three companies involved being google, HTC and Verizon. Getting the same useless phone as a replacement is not the answer to our problems as we continually lose money with our phone based business. My wife and I were both very happy customers at Verizon until this update and the response. We had a fair proposal that would make the situation right which Verizon will not agree to. Amber compared it to buying a tv at walmart and that any problems with the item must be taken up with the manufacturer outside of the warranty. I say that is apples and oranges since a phone is much different than a TV. This kind of dumb analogy is an insult. It’s more like the cable company(verizon) selling you a tv then zapping it with something that breaks it. Please fix this VERIZON or you will hear from a lawyer soon and lose many customers!

{please keep your posts courteous}. If your business is so dependent on your cell phone functioning, then you should have a back-up phone. Verizon doesn't owe you jack squat for your lost business or customers.{please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
Devil505

If you feel the need to mod one my posts, just delete it. The above is not what I said.

0 Likes