End of Life in May
SoCal64
Enthusiast - Level 3

Android Central made this announcement on their website this morning:

Verizon Droid Eris owners, take note: Your phone is on the way out. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Above is a screen showing the PCD - ADR6200 (aka the HTC Droid Eris) listed under End of Life Devices -- meaning it, indeed, is headed for the big smartphone convention in the sky. Yeah, that's pretty quick, considering it was only released last November. The good news: There's no reason to freak out. Your phone will still work. Nobody will come to your house and take it. It's just nearing the end of its sales life.

I wonder if they'll still roll out the 2.1 update for a phone about to bite the farm? Let's hope so. I'm still in my 30 day window of returning it. 

What phone would I get now if I need a replacement? I really like the phone a lot but not sure if I should stick with a phone that is getting phased out so soon.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: End of Life in May
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

In with the new out with the old. Soon over time Motorola Droid itself will most likely be discontinued as well. All phones do get discontinued after a certain amount of time. I have my Env2 from Verizon that I got in 2008 & it's no longer available from Verizon. People can still buy the Eris once it is discontinued, just not from directly from Verizon. They could purchase it from ebay or even craigslist. T-mobile discontinued the G1 last month sometime. I've got the G1. I said "may it rest in peace."  

0 Likes
Re: End of Life in May
jeffgman

SoCal64 wrote:

Android Central made this announcement on their website this morning:

Verizon Droid Eris owners, take note: Your phone is on the way out. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Above is a screen showing the PCD - ADR6200 (aka the HTC Droid Eris) listed under End of Life Devices -- meaning it, indeed, is headed for the big smartphone convention in the sky. Yeah, that's pretty quick, considering it was only released last November. The good news: There's no reason to freak out. Your phone will still work. Nobody will come to your house and take it. It's just nearing the end of its sales life.

I wonder if they'll still roll out the 2.1 update for a phone about to bite the farm? Let's hope so. I'm still in my 30 day window of returning it. 

What phone would I get now if I need a replacement? I really like the phone a lot but not sure if I should stick with a phone that is getting phased out so soon.

I am pretty confident they will still roll out the update.  Pretty **bleep** for HTC and Verizon to go through all of the work on getting an update ready to just skip it.  Also, it would be in HTC and Verizon's best interest to get all of their Android phones on the same or at least close to the same version of software.

There are plenty of Eris's out in the wild.  If you need a replacement I am sure there are plenty out there.  It just means that HTC is no longer going to make any and Verizon is no longer going to sell it because it is no longer made.

Jeff

0 Likes