Dual-SIM Android / Verizon
thisisjampers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. I'm looking for a dual-SIM Android solution that works with Verizon. My objectives are...

1. Android
  2. Combine home and work phones into one (both Verizon, but different accounts)
  3. Keep home and work phone numbers
  4. Active dual-SIM preferred (versus passive and stand-by)
  5. Decent functionality compared to current technology offerrings

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Dual-SIM Android / Verizon
thisisjampers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since I am struggling to find a Verizon dual-sim solution, I may have to fall back to one of these three alternative plans (#2 through #4).

1. For reference: a Verizon compatible dual-sim solution (active preferred, standby as minimum). See previous notes in post.
  2. Give up one of my numbers. So some how I would need to keep contacts and calendars separate. I sync contacts, calendar, etc. at work using Exchange Server. Both my wife and I sync contacts, calendar, memos, etc. at home using CompanionLink.
  3. Converge to one 'single-sim' phone and have calls from one number transferred to the other. Not sure if this can apply to texts as well. Still need to figure out how to separate contacts, calendar, etc. as stated in #1 above.
  4. Move to another carrier i.e. GSM based that has more dual-sim solutions.

There really must be a good solution, other than carrying two phones, while keeping work and home separate.

Note to Verizon:

• Preferred option - dual-sim solution (#1)
  • Other solutions - #2 & #4 result in loss of business

Let's see what unfolds.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

thisisjampers, keeping you with Verizon is a priority, so we are here to assist. The Apple devices are currently manufactured by Apple with an eSIM, which is the requirement to use the service that you are describing. At this time there are not any Android manufactures with an eSIM. Therefore the solution would be to use an Apple device as shown in the following web page https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/dual-sim-with-an-esim/. Does this help with your concern?

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

The only dual Sim phone that I know of that works with Verizon is the one plus 6T.

There are drawbacks,   no WiFi calling being significant.  

The one+ 6t does allow separate user accounts which might actually work quite well for what you were describing. It is a dual standby, not dual active. 

thisisjampers
Enthusiast - Level 2

David,

I'm not really an Apple fan. But with these phones, will Verizon support both phone numbers/accounts using the eSIM and nano-SIM? I also understand this is standby dual SIM, not active. What are the down-sides of standby?

Regarding Androids dual SIM, what about a single SIM using a dual SIM adaptor? Will this function with Verizon, and what type of dual SIM functionality will that provide e.g. standby, active?https://www.newegg.com/p/0Y3-00E9-000P6?item=9SIAFS976T4084&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=knc-goog...

Thanks.

0 Likes
thisisjampers
Enthusiast - Level 2

mama23dogs:

Is the OnePlus a good quality phone, say compared to Samsung? I was told yesterday that the Blackberry Key2le is also dual sim. And perhaps Huawei?

Does using two nano-SIM cards eliminate the ability to also use an SD card?

Regarding no Wifi calling, is that as a result of the OnePlus phone or as a result of the dual standby function?

I'm still struggling, and am wondering if I should give up my work number, therefore, removing the need for dual SIM (or 2 phones). But I don't know if I can keep contacts and calendars separate, and have incoming calls looks at both contact lists to identify the caller. Thoughts?

What do you think of the feasibility of effectively using a dual SIM adaptor?

Thanks.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@thisisjampers wrote:

mama23dogs:

Is the OnePlus a good quality phone, say compared to Samsung?  Samsung is over rated.   After generations of excellent phones, I’m done with them   Redundant apps, idiotic bixby button, and until the S8 series, subject to horrific lag after a few months use.  I current run a pixel 3 xl go Verizon and the 6t alternately on At&t, or with both sim slots, one for each carrier.  

I previously owned the 1+ 5t.  The only thing that keeps me from completely abandoning carrier phones is the need for Wifi calling in a rural area where only those 2 carrier have any coverage   

I was told yesterday that the Blackberry Key2le is also dual sim. And perhaps Huawei?   

You can’t activate anything Huawei in the USA right now.  AT&T limits them to 3g, and blocks data.  BB is junk whose time has come and gone.  

Does using two nano-SIM cards eliminate the ability to also use an SD card?

One+ does not have an SD card slot.  Use cloud storage and internal storage.  I see no need for an SD card.  

Regarding no Wifi calling, is that as a result of the OnePlus phone or as a result of the dual standby function?

Wifi calling requires carrier software.   You cannot get Wifi calling on non branded androids on either Verizon or AT&T with the exception of the pixel 3 series on At&t.  

I'm still struggling, and am wondering if I should give up my work number, therefore, removing the need for dual SIM (or 2 phones). But I don't know if I can keep contacts and calendars separate, and have incoming calls looks at both contact lists to identify the caller. Thoughts?

Why not port the work number to google voice?  If your calendar and contacts are under different google accounts, you can switch back and forth between them on any phone.  

What do you think of the feasibility of effectively using a dual SIM adaptor?

The adapter looks like it has to be internally connected, which means access.  Most current phones are sealed, and have no room.  Might work in an old note 4, but who wants that dinosaur?

Thanks.

thisisjampers
Enthusiast - Level 2

mama23dogs:

Great answers. Thanks.

If your calendar and contacts are under different google accounts, you can switch back and forth between them on any phone. >> My work uses MS Exchange Server (to/from Outlook on work PC). My home uses CompanionLink to/from Outlook on home PC, for both wife and me. How do I accomplish keeping calendar, contacts, notes, tasks, etc. separate? I can sync differently at home if needed. 

The adapter looks like it has to be internally connected... >> Dual sim adaptors plug into the sim slot, have an extended ribbon cable that wraps around the back of the phone and sits between the phone and the phone case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENPLzhppiU

Also other models, but not sure what type of dual sim function they provide (DSP, DSDS, DSDA).

Why not port the work number to google voice? >> I briefly looked at this and need to understand more about keeping my work number and using this.

Thanks.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@thisisjampers wrote:

mama23dogs:

Great answers. Thanks.

If your calendar and contacts are under different google accounts, you can switch back and forth between them on any phone. >> My work uses MS Exchange Server (to/from Outlook on work PC). My home uses CompanionLink to/from Outlook on home PC, for both wife and me. How do I accomplish keeping calendar, contacts, notes, tasks, etc. separate? I can sync differently at home if needed. 

Oneplus 6t allows 2 user accounts, but I haven’t used the function and don’t know how it applies to outlook, also don’t use.  

The adapter looks like it has to be internally connected... >> Dual sim adaptors plug into the sim slot, have an extended ribbon cable that wraps around the back of the phone and sits between the phone and the phone case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENPLzhppiU

I see.  So it would only work with a sim drawer.  Not crazy about the look but it’s up to you.  

Also other models, but not sure what type of dual sim function they provide (DSP, DSDS, DSDA).

6t is dual standby

Why not port the work number to google voice? >> I briefly looked at this and need to understand more about keeping my work number and using this.

Thanks.

Google voice makes the GV number ‘virtual’.  No fees after the $20 port in.  Calls and text are accessed in the GV app.  They can be set to forward to your real number.   I used a virtual number briefly, you can try a free one just to see how it works before you port a number.  

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can check the specs on the certified BYOD devices that will work on the Verizon Wireless network to see if any them support a dual SIM or eSIM. 

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Bring-Your-Own-Device/Verizon-Certified-Unlocked-Android-Sm...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes