Droid4 - keyboard letters are dissolving - anyone else have this?
musicmama

My 9-month old Droid 4 keyboard is "dissolving" - the flimsy painted letters on the keys are chipping off.  It started with the "T" key, but other keys are now doing the same thing.  At some point, there will be no letters left on the keys.  I admit that I'm a heavy keyboard user - on-screen keyboards just don't work for me.  Has anybody else seen this behavior?  Verizon -- this phone is less than a year old, should this be happening?  And no, the phone has no liquid or physical damage.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Droid4 - keyboard letters are dissolving - anyone else have this?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

If the phone is less than a year old, it is still under warranty.  Call customer service and order a replacement.

0 Likes
Re: Droid4 - keyboard letters are dissolving - anyone else have this?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

As demmo said - you can get it replaced under warranty with a CPO or refurbished device.  I have a Droid 4, I got it for the keyboard, but found I really liked "swyping" and don't use the keyboard as much as I thought I would!  But if you do use the keyboard a lot, watching the letters fade away is no fun.

If you use hand lotion, that may be a contributing factor to the letters flaking off - I've seen that happen on a BlackBerry - my Bold 9650 has some missing paint on a few letters; that keyboard got some heavy use.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello and happy Wednesday musicmama,

I'm glad to see that you are taking full advantage of your Droid 4 and its capabilities. I must admit, the Droid 4 has the most comfortable qwerty keyboard on any smartphone, my opinion of course. May I ask are all of your buttons working properly on your Droid 4? Also, when did you get the device? We want to make sure you provide you with all the options so you can continue to text with your happy fingers.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
musicmama

Aside from the "Symbol" key that was disabled for many uses during the Jelly Bean update, and the backlight that doesn't work about half the time, the keys themselves function just fine.  It's just that the key lettering is cracking off.

I got the phone on 10/22/2012.

0 Likes