Droid pro speaker crackling
droidnc

When I answer a call all I hear is static or crackling type noises.  The person on the other side of the call can't hear anything.  But I can call them back and everything is fine.  I have taken the battery out to reset the phone but no help.  Any ideas?  Should I return the phone?

Thanks for the help

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid pro speaker crackling
GinaH_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

From what you both described, it's the earpiece speaker going out. Try playing with the volume level while on the call to see if static gets worse. This defect would be covered under the manufacturer warranty to exchange it for a free replacement. DevAndroid, since you mentioned you are within 30 days, you are definitely within the one year warranty period to exchange the phone. I apologize to you both for the inconvenience.

Click this link to see the Device Replacement guidelines to review your warranty options. 

http://support.vzw.com/information/device_replacement_program.html

Thank you

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Crackling speakers can be caused by multiple things.  It could be a software problem.  I would suggest reprogramming your phone.  Dial *228 and press the call button.  When the automated lady comes on, press number 1.  It will tell you when the programming has been successful.  This could also be network related.  Does this happen everywhere?  If it happens over a span of over 10+ mile radius, it is most likely a device issue.  You can always exchange the device if it is within the first 14 days, but it is best to try troubleshooting it first.

Let us know if this resolved your crackling speakers problems. 

0 Likes
DevAndroid

I'd like to note that I am also having this issue. I received my Certified Pre-Owned Droid X yesterday from FedEx. Everything was working fine until I noticed during my activation call, the sound was full of static and it was crackling. Also, the "elevator music" being played during the activation sounded horrible and it would cut out and in constantly. 

I just want to note that everything else on the phone works wonderfully. Anyways, last night my friend called me and right when I answered the phone, the crackling static sound showed up again. It occurred during the entire phone session. It is not just during normal phones either; it happens when I call my voicemail as well. 

At first I thought it might be an issue with reception or the signal, but I'm not totally sure. I tried making a call in different areas of the house and when I was at college today and I still had the static issue. 

Solutions I have tried:

1.) I've done a soft reset with no sucess.

2.) I've done a hard reset with no success either.

3.) I've done a battery pull twice, which did not work.

4.) I've turned off Enhanced Voice Privacy.

5.) I've changed the voice codec from EVRC to EVRC-B.

6.) I've updated my PRL list by dialing *228.

So, after going through all of the "possible" fixes, nothing work. I still hear the crackling static sound whenever I receive or make a phone call. Like I said, everything else on the phone works amazingly. It disappoints me that my first Droid would have this issue.

Is there anything else I could possibly do to fix this issue? My last resort would obviously be to get a replacement. I'm still under the 30-day warranty.

0 Likes
GinaH_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

From what you both described, it's the earpiece speaker going out. Try playing with the volume level while on the call to see if static gets worse. This defect would be covered under the manufacturer warranty to exchange it for a free replacement. DevAndroid, since you mentioned you are within 30 days, you are definitely within the one year warranty period to exchange the phone. I apologize to you both for the inconvenience.

Click this link to see the Device Replacement guidelines to review your warranty options. 

http://support.vzw.com/information/device_replacement_program.html

Thank you

0 Likes