Droid does not do voice dialing with Bluetooth
inspector99

No Voice dialing with Bluetooth, a sales killer.  The store personnel had no clue.  It should be illegal to sell a phone without voice dialing in California.

The Droid is going back to Costco.  I got the money back I had spent for apps from Verizon, but the twenty hours I spent setting this thing up I will never get back.  This thing has a tremendous potential but they forgot that it's a phone first and a PDA second. 

My old phone works great.  I might get an Apple iPod touch  (shudder) to replace my Sony Clie which is slowly dying after six years.  I am really bummed out with the whole issue of learning a new device only to have to replace it every two years.  It's the time and information that's lost.  There is too much emphasis on the hardware.  I think the tech guys who review and recommend these things have a severe case of ADD and flitter like a butterfly to every new device while never learning the in and outs of anything.  I found two other issues with the Droid in the short period that I had it.  The slide out keyboard is really hard to use and I used the on screen virtual keyboard, definitely something I will be looking at in the future.  The other thing was that the screen didn't lock in certain applications such as phone and MP3 player so you had to be really careful not to touch the screen and of course you would want to stick it in your pocket sometimes which wouldn't work.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid does not do voice dialing with Bluetooth
kenc3dan

I wrote to 5 senior level execs at Verizon and received a call back from one just to confirm what my issue was.

"Yeah, it doesn't have Bluetooth voice dialing."

"OK, thanks for letting us know." was the tone of the reply from the secretary or whoever - nothing concrete.

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Old, old news. There are probably at least 50 threads on this topic.

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

The rumor that Verizon is coming out with a BT Headset that will store your contact list just backs one of my earlier theories.  Verizon has a contract with google, and they get to dictate what software operates on their phones/network.  Hence us receiving the 2.1 "Update 1" version of the software.  As Verizon has been known to do in the past, they neuter their version of a phone in order to charge the customer for extra services (or hardware as in this case).  And they do it to their high end phones (DROID, Incredible) since the customers that can afford them will obviously be able to afford shelling out another $150 (maybe more) for the new special BT Headset that can do so much more than a normal BT Headset.  If that happens..... sign me up for the Class Action Suit.  Also, another slant to this theory..... this way Verizon won't have to pay to licence the Nuance software for all of our phones, instead we will have to pay for additional hardware.... that Verizon will also make a profit off of !!   That's just a win-win for Verizon.

I'm still amazed that we DROID owners have access to Google's free Navigation software.  All of Verizon's other non-Android phones have to pay extra for Navigation.

0 Likes
kenc3dan

I am totally fed up with the situation but I'm pretty sure Verizon isn't going to expend effort on anything as subtle and devious as a custom Droid Bluetooth headset.

No, most likely they are going to just drag their feet, innovating as slowly as requried to keep up and stagger through the marketplace certain of the fact that people will continue to buy their phones and that they need not pay attention to details from the first-adopter crowd.  They've sold a million Droids and will sell a million Droid Incredibles without ever lifting a finger to fix this glaring omission.  We can only hope they trip over a solution with Google and Motorola on their way to the bank with all the cash from the smartphone data plans and visual voicemail fees.

0 Likes