Droid Razr Maxx HD was hard reset but now won't turn on
Sawenda
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was having issues with my Droid not booting past the initial Motorola symbol. None of the soft reset or safe mode operations remedied the problem so I attempted a factory reset following the instructions from Verizon. Upon rebooting the phone the screen went blank and remained that way for 20 minutes. At that point any attempt to power on the phone would not work. I attempted a soft restart (power and volume down) which when complete caused the phone to try to restart on it's own. I am back to just the initial motorola screen. I now cannot access the boot screen (power and volume up), either to attempt a reboot or force run. Any suggestions before I drag myself to the Verizon store where they will try to get me to buy a new phone. The phone was working fine up until it froze while dumping an application cache for a non pertinent app.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Razr Maxx HD was hard reset but now won't turn on
Sawenda
Enthusiast - Level 2

Now getting the boot screen. Should I try to reboot? The factory reset stated that it was complete during initial try.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Yes did you get it up and running?

0 Likes
Sawenda
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, it would not reboot after the factory reset, I tried it three times.

Finally gave up and brought it in to a technician. It's dead. The phone

didn't experience any trauma so they are replacing it with my insurance.

This is the first time paying for insurance has actually paid off. New

phone comes today. Talked to the nicest guy, Alec, at the West Chester,

Ohio store.

0 Likes
ninevoltz

The same problem happened to my wife's phone yesterday (12/10/14). We, however, were not so lucky. Her warranty expired and we didn't buy insurance. They pushed a software update yesterday that broke the RAZR MAXX. And they are more than happy to sell you a new phone and contract rather than fix it. Motorola is not helping either, and Verizon makes them lock the bootloaders so you can't fix it yourself either. I'll likely be taking Verizon to small-claims over this.

0 Likes
Sawenda
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, that's crazy! I'm so sorry to hear. I actually had requested

several times to have my insurance cancelled because it never covered any

of the issues I've had in the past. When I amended my plan a few months ago

they must have reactivated it. Nowhere on my digital bill was the insurance

listed so I had no idea I was even paying for it. I'd normally be livid

but, it actually worked in my favor.

I would for sure check into your legal options. For now I suggest getting a

cheap refurbished phone until you are due for an upgrade. Don't commit to

their payment plan that you will be paying well after you are qualify for

an upgrade. If I thought any of the other cell phone carriers weren't just

as bad in some way or another I would switch but, I honestly don't know

anyone who's not getting screwed in some way. This is definitely some next

level bull, though. Now I know why no one from Verizon has commented in

on this thread.

>> Edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ninevoltz, I'm saddened to hear that your wife's phone is out of warranty and doesn't have insurance. That does't stopus from working with you to try to resolve the issue for you. Is your wife's phone still having issues or were you able to resolve them?

VanetrisC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
ninevoltz

I've been talking to people from Motorola on their forums, trying to get help to reflash the phone. Verizon has forced Motorola to lock the bootloader on these phones, which prevents mere mortals like myself from repairing our own phones. If I was able to reflash the boot partition I'm certain the phone would work again. The gentleman at the Verizon store last night didn't even know how to access the bootloader menu on this phone, let alone offer to fix/replace it. But he was very eager to sign us up with a new plan/contract and a new phone. At an additional $15/month.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ninevoltz,

Working directly with the manufacturer is definitely a good route to go as they are the ultimate experts on their devices. Were they able to give you an option for fixing the device? At the store no harm was meant, as I'm sure the aim was to be sure you had a working device. There will be technical issues that may not be fixable by us at these locations.

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ninevoltz

I gave up and we bought a new phone. Got the LG G3 and the free Android tablet to go with it, which made it sting a bit less. No more Motorola phones for us ever again. Also got the extended warranty this time.

0 Likes