Re: Droid Razr M: KitKat Update Fail
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Install Swype from the Play Store.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
NeedaBoost
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just paid 4 bucks to get the original nuance keyboard back and downloaded 8sms (Stock Messaging, KitKat) its free got the black background back in my text messaging.. almost back to normal,,, phone does seem to run a little faster, Still fuming a little about swype though, it defies all logic.

0 Likes
Codewize
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why should we have to pay $3.99 for something that's been included in Android forever? and just for the record, this is NOT the only problem

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Codewize wrote:

Why should we have to pay $3.99 for something that's been included in Android forever? and just for the record, this is NOT the only problem

It hasn't been part of Android "forever". In fact it was never included with the stock Android OS. Certain phone models often skinned with additional customizations like the UI and applications like Swype had it installed. The version on those devices had a version of Swype several versions behind what was available in the Play Store and on newer devices. Many users including myself have never used Swype on all the android devices I have had since 2009. I wanted to try it, but I refused to sign up for the beta testing and was waiting until it was available in the Play Store. In the meantime I discovered another keyboard to use.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sm74

Yeah, I have RAZR HD also and a couple days ago I checked for the kitkat update and it showed "update available" . After downloading, it also failed to install. It would start installation and would reboot shortly after saying " install failed". I did a reset and same thing. Funny thing is that it would always say update available after I reset the phone and checked for updates again. Also note that all this happened without cellular service activated on the phone. Now today my daughter wanted to turn the phone ON , her line. Now all it does is say "check for updates not available at this time. Its been doing this all day. I checked and its still on 4.1.2 jelly bean.

0 Likes
SigZac
Enthusiast - Level 2

My RAZR MAXX HD is doing the same thing. Downloads the update, shuts down, installs about 20%-30% of the way then the android on it's back with the !, then reboots with "update failed".  WTH???  😞

0 Likes
bjtemp

Same issue. Downloads fine. Reboots and fails about half way into the install. Phone reboots and reports that the update failed.  HELP!

0 Likes
chuckh1958

Same problem. Update downloads, fails to install, reboots back into Jelly Bean.

I had the same problem with the 9.30.1.XT926.Verizon.en.us update several months ago and had to flash the update myself from FXZ with RSD Lite. Without that update the phone would freeze on the charger every other night.

This phone has NEVER worked with OTA updates since the day I got it.

0 Likes
chefsal

Add another one to the list.  I have an XT926 handset.  Every attempt to update to 186.46.10 Verizon update fails about 25% through, then restarts to a message that says "Software Update Failed".   After reading what I have about it, I may be happy I cannot get it.  I don't use Swype, but I like the status bar just the way it is...

0 Likes
Codewize
Enthusiast - Level 3

Duplicate post - please see:

Re: Why is my 4g signal indicator white not blue?

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes