Droid Maxx WiFi problems
Sidewinda

I'm having problems with my droid Maxx over WiFi connections. It started about 2 weeks ago. Basically it's not keeping a stable connection to any WiFi network. It will bounce around from 0 bars to 3, and rarely full strength only when I'm right next to my own router at home.

I called Verizon support and went through all the usual troubleshooting with them and still have the problem. I originally thought it was my router and replaced it with a brand new one, but still have the same problem.

Could the WiFi antenna in the phone possibly have gone bad?

I just noticed when holding my phone sideways, and my hand is covering the top of the phone, my WiFi signal goes down no nothing. It'll go back up when I move my hand.

I already tried to do a factory reset but it did not help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Maxx WiFi problems
Jamesgb75
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you have either of these apps installed:

Gasbuddy

Fitbit

??

There was a thread on another forum that narrowed down a WiFi dropped connection problem to these two apps. I uninstalled gasbuddy on my phone about two weeks ago and haven't had a problem since.

Let me know if you happen to be in the same situation.

-James

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's make sure we keep you phone connected to your WiFi network Sidewinda. I know the importance of having a stable connection. Have you tried connecting other devices to your home wifi to see the results? Have you tried forgetting the wifi network and adding it once again? Settings> Wifi> Bottom right (settings)> forget all networks. Do you have the latest software running on your device http://vz.to/1BiGZYk ?

JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JasonR77
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having this exact same issue, and my phone is literally 24 hours old.  All other devices on my WiFi work with zero problems, and my signal is very strong.  It won't even find it on a WiFi scan most of the time, so I can't even try the forget it and re-add it thing.  I've restarted the phone once, it worked, but when I left the house and returned, it went out yet again.  The WiFi section will also lose all WiFi locations and display the message that comes up when it is turned off.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

could be wifi antenna . how does it work with other wifi networks?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JasonR77, we don't want this to be an ongoing issue for you. Were you prompted to download a new software update on your device. Click http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-173760/ to ensure that you have the latest software update.

LasinaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JasonR77
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had an update almost immediately after activating the phone.  The update was performed successfully and system update says that the phone is up to date.  I took the phone to the store and they weren't able to do anything.  It also drops my bluetooth connections as well.  I just paired it with my car, and now it won't recognize the pairing.

0 Likes
Sidewinda

I have a laptop and an older netbook that connect with fine with no problems, my wife has the same phone as me and she doesn't experience any of the problems I do. I even dug out my old droid razr maxx and it even gets a better connnection.

I have tested it out at my work and my in-laws over the wifi. I used to get a nice solid connection at work but now it just bounces from no bars to 2 or 3 constantly, it will not stay at any signal strength like it used to.

I did some research and tried out booting the phone into safe mode to see if an app was interfering but has the same poor connection.

I'm not really sure what else I can try out, anyone else with this problem have anything work out for them? I've seen posts about the same problem on other forums but with no resolution.

I forgot to add that the phone is fully updated.

0 Likes
JasonR77
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was just about to add a post wherein I mention that when I leave the house and shut off the WiFi usage, it comes back on when I get home and turn it back on.  Obviously this shouldn't be necessary.  But I just did it again and it didn't work, so nevermind that.  How there's absolutely no useful information whatsoever on this problem is ridiculously mind-numbing.  I do not desire having to keep getting new phones and hoping that they don't have the problem.  This needs to be fixed.  And if there's no explanation, then I need to be put into another phone without charge.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JasonR77, thanks for those details. Let's try deleting that connection and then resyncing it.

Click http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/ for more device support.

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes
newcomb4651

I have same issue

0 Likes