Droid Eris?
dyiu

Right now, I have the Droid which I purchased a few days ago.  But I'm kind of rethinking my purchase about getting the Droid Eris.  I've heard that the Eris has a shorter battery life than the Droid, and no free turn by turn directions, which the Droid has.  But I was looking for a smaller/lighter phone, and a one piece phone.  I'm having difficulty also finding a silicone skin/case for the Droid, which I guess would be a problem for a slider like the Droid.  My biggest deciding factor is the battery life and the size/weight, but is there other issues I should be aware of on the Eris?  The Droid battery so far has been amazing (compared to my Palm Pre) which I guess is probably because of the Gmail push, which the Pre didn't have.

To sum it up; what would you say the battery is compared to the Droid?  Is there some other negative (or positive) things I should know about the Eris compared to the Droid?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Eris?
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

dyiu wrote:

Right now, I have the Droid which I purchased a few days ago.  But I'm kind of rethinking my purchase about getting the Droid Eris.  I've heard that the Eris has a shorter battery life than the Droid, and no free turn by turn directions, which the Droid has.  But I was looking for a smaller/lighter phone, and a one piece phone.  I'm having difficulty also finding a silicone skin/case for the Droid, which I guess would be a problem for a slider like the Droid.  My biggest deciding factor is the battery life and the size/weight, but is there other issues I should be aware of on the Eris?  The Droid battery so far has been amazing (compared to my Palm Pre) which I guess is probably because of the Gmail push, which the Pre didn't have.

To sum it up; what would you say the battery is compared to the Droid?  Is there some other negative (or positive) things I should know about the Eris compared to the Droid?

Go here to read the pros/cons on the Eris-->Reviews  According to phonescoop, the battery is:

Talk: 5 hours max.   (300 minutes)
Standby: 420 hours max.   (17.5 days)

0 Likes
droiduser153

The battery life of the Droid Eris will depend on the user's talking habits. If it is used occasionally throughout the day for 5 or 10 minute conversations, a few texts and surfing the net for a half hour, the battery will last all day and can be recharged while you sleep. If the phone is going to be used constantly for talking, sending texts and emails and surfing the net all day long, you could have a problem.

Be sure to download the App Killer to close aps when not in use. This prevents them from running in the background and draining the battery.

0 Likes
rinterstate

Until they roll out the the new 2.1 software I won't recommend the Droid Eris to anyone. They don't have any problems rolling out new phones why don't they get the software right on the earlier phones THEN roll out new phone models

0 Likes
wec

Why would they do that?  HTC doesn't care about its existing customers....  They already got their money.  I wouldn't be if they only had one developer working on the Eris upgrade.  Eris users will be lucky if they ever see 2.1...  Good job HTC... Extra-special job Verizon.

0 Likes
nonie3234
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
nonie3234
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I were you, I'd get the HTC Incredible. It's very similar to the Eris, only it has the updated software and the faster processor. Rumor has it, the battery life is better, too:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/04/19/htc-droid-incredible-review-roundup-consensus-its-the-best-a...

0 Likes
agamsnow

I would not recommend this phone either without the update. It appears at this time that Verizon is jacking around with releasing the update. I wish I would have gotten the Motorola Droid instead of the Eris at this point.

0 Likes
OsoPolar
In my opinion, from what I've seen of 2.1 on the Eris, it's still definitely lacking in some key areas of what makes 2.1 the latest and greatest. ie. Live Wallpapers, Google Earth, & Speech to Text to name a few. Don't get me wrong, I like my droid Eris, but if my previous phone hadn't started malfunctioning so severely, I feel my patience would have brought me through to the Incredible, which from all reports will be the best smartphone VZ has put out to date. If you have the extra money, I say wait for the Incredible, if you're on a super tight budget but still "need" a smartphone, go for the Eris. For what it is, it's a great phone, but what it is can be defined as the runt of the VZ android litter. Cute...but a little weak.
0 Likes
mp81103

The droid eris will be receiving a Android OS 2.1 update in the next few months according to my contact at HTC.  He states that it is in the final approval stage for release.  And a representative that I called also confirms that there will be a update!

0 Likes