Droid Eris
Smilie

If you are seriously considering purchasing the Droid Eris……Think again!

I have never had so much trouble with a phone….and I have averaged a new phone every  year for over 20 years now.  Not because of quality, but for the newest functions and technology.  My previous phone was the blackberry storm…..I no problem traveling from one county to the next continually talking (hands free on my Bluetooth).  But, the Droid Eris does not respond to traveling….via the Bluetooth capabilities.  Not only does it disconnect…every time!  But, it freezes up.  Then I have to take out the battery…all while driving.  It takes another 30 minutes sometimes before I can reconnect…because the Droid refuses to receive signals….It is not a coverage issue!  I have traveled between San Diego and LA for years and never had this problem.  My phone is my life line to my work and all the decisions that need to be made immediately.   Here are just a few of the many other problems with the Droid Eris. 

• Goes to a black/blank screen instantly….all the time (just moving the phone) I push all buttons and nothing happens. It Freezes up all the time.  I have to take out the battery to reset.
  • Makes random calls all the time.  Even while I am talking on the phone with someone else.
  • Touch screen rarely functions
  • When I have completed a call, the droid makes another call back a couple of seconds later.
  • I can not receive any of my voice messages.
  • Goes dead around 10 am everyday!....Many times I am not in the car…and I have no way to charge the phone…when I am at job sites.
  • It changes its own settings all the time…..now it does not ring at all! 

It’s a joke!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Eris
SoCal64
Enthusiast - Level 3

I own the Eris and granted I've had it a short time..I haven't experienced any of the problems you are describing. It's been an awesome phone.

Perhaps you got a lemon or a defective battery.  If you are going to toss it maybe you want to hold out for the Incredible coming out soon.

0 Likes
anchor328

I have had my Eris now since December and have not had these issues. My phone never forgets settings, I have never double called anyone even once. I have hung up by mistake but that's cause I hovered over the "end call" button and hit it. You can't blame the phone for that. I have never had a call drop. The touch screen only took a little getting use to. I have google voice and it not only plays back the audio on the phone but it does a read along with the text as the words in the voice mail are played. Depending how I use the phone I have had it last for 2 days before charging. Learn to manage your power usage.You can buy two other batteries which both have higher capacity but one fits with normal back while the other has a huge back to fit the huge battery.

Sounds like you have a battery issue.

0 Likes
LetsgoFishing
Contributor - Level 1

hi Smilie,  i've had my Eris going on 2 months now. i love the phone.  not sure if anyone else agrees with me, but its funny, just this am i was telling someone i don't think this phone is good for a business person who does a lot of things with their phone b/c of the battery life.  i'm able to get a day but not more and i don't do a lot with the phone.  there have been suggestions made which i have done but still rarely get beyond a day.  please listen to the others on here b/c maybe the suggestions i was given to prolong the battery life may work on your device, just not mine for some reason.  i have gone 1 1/4 days on one charge twice in the 2 mos. 

as for your other issues...the only other one i had was the random calling of someone.  mine has done it only one time.  other than that, no problems with this fun device.  i love this phone and hopefully you can get some good advice here but you may have to look at something else if it's not suiting your needs or take it back to the store for them to check it out to see whether its defective or not.

0 Likes
ck125

I have had my Eris since November and have not experienced any of these problems that you are complaining about, neither has any of my friends who have the device. Maybe you got a faulty phone

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2
We have three Eris's in my house and we all love them. No such problems as you've described. Had them since December and haven't had a problem yet, other than spending too much time playing with them. Sounds like you got a defective phone.
0 Likes
selane

sounds like you've just got a bad phone. 

as with the other posters here, i've had my eris for almost 5 months now, none of the problems you've mentioned

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
With your list of problems, I woul suggest a swap out and see if you get better results. I strongly encourage the 1750 MAmp battery, it is the best. I don't get two days like other people do on here though. It will give me at least 12 great hours of browsing,txting and FB chat with no problem and power to spare till I plug it in at night, and I don't get home till almost midnight on work nights, but I am up and going by 9am the next morning. ANY smartphone now a days will nto have th best battery time, I dont see how anyone thinks they will if they use all the options possible. I use my bluetooth with my bluetooth enabled helmet for riding my motorcycle. I can listen to music at 90 MPH or I can talk to a caller if need be(I slow down for that because the mic doesn't do so well at that speed, and talking is more distracting I slow down anyway) I don't have dropped calls. My phone has been working great and I am looking forward to the update once it is released. I do miss the option of voice dial on bluetooth, but hopefulyl that will be working soon, and an EQ/audio player would be a huge improvement. It wirks, but I liek to fine tune when I can. I can understand your complaint of th ephone with what you have expereinced, try to replacement and if you don't like it at all anyway try a different phone. IF you do need a long batery the 3500 is an excellent choice it doesn't change the size drastically. Picture the battery on top of itself and that gives you the depth it adds. I'm not sure of the actual time, cause I didn't get that one. Some people think it is huge, and the Eris is a very slim phone as it comes. Good luck and I hope you find a phone that works with you and let's you be you..lol
0 Likes
JWS1956

I have had my Eris for less than three months, but I have had almost none of the issues you are having.  Dropped calls... Yes.  I had those with my last Verizon phone.  It was a Moto 755.  You have dropped calls with ever phone  company out there.  When they switch towers, when the airways get "flooded" etc.  You won't overcome that unless you get your own cell phone tower.

I travel for a living and I have been in several states and have no serious issues.  VA, DC, PA, WV (nothing works good in WV), MD, etc. 

As far as the Bluetooth problem.  Mine works better with my Eris than it did with my Moto 755 but it doesn't pair as well.  What I mean by that, with my Moto 755 I could hear when I was dialing and knew my Bluetooth was paired.  With my Eris, I actually have to make a call to make sure it is working right. 

This, along with other issues are suppose to be addressed with the 2.1 upgrade.  We shall see.

All in all, it sounds to me like you have a bad phone.  Have them send you a new phone.

With the battery.  The Eris battery has to be "trained".  I know that sounds weird.  I had never heard anything like it before either.  When I first got my phone, it didn't last 5 hours before it was dead.  I let it go dead at least 5 times and each time it lasted longer and longer.  Now I can have my phone on for more than  24 hours and it is fine.  IF I am in an area with good coverage.  As with any phone, if it has to keep searching for service, your battery will die fast. 

Screen going blank.  I have never had that to happen.  Nor has my phone ever froze where I had to remove my battery. 

I would suggest another phone for you.  You seem to have gotten a bad phone.  It  does happen.  When I first started with Verizon 3 years ago, I went through three DIFFERENT phones before I got one that I was pleased with and worked right for me.  

0 Likes
sportsmom

Hey Smilie, Sorry to hear about the problems you are having.  I have not had my Eris very long, but so far have had no problems at all.  No freeze ups, touch pad works fine......Sounds like you need to visit Verizon with these complaints if you haven't done so and get a new phone!  Yours sounds defective!

0 Likes