Droid Eris shows location as INDIA??
monkespit

Using the network to locate my phone, since more than half of the apps on here are location based it seems,  is extremely wrong. I live in Florida, and it picks me up as being in India, Perti or something. Standing outside on a sunny day doesn't even help the GPS function in the slightest, and verizon thinks I'm in the middle east, what the hell? Am I the only one?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Eris shows location as INDIA??
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

There's a bug fix in the works for the GPS issue.

http://phandroid.com/2009/11/09/htc-droid-eris-ota-update-coming-too/

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

The bulletin actually only tells you to turn on GPS satellites, but I think one of the issues is with how long it takes to get a solid accurate satellite signal.

If your getting locations in India, then maybe its using WiFi location and the location hub is in India? If your using cell tower location services, then maybe it's failing to determine location and defaulting to India? GPS should be accurate for the most part even though mine jumps around some.

For whatever reason, if its showing India, then that has to be a default location because the phone failed to use one of the other (3) location services built into the phone (WiFi, CellTower triangulation, GPS).

Try using only GPS and turn the other OFF.

0 Likes
monkespit

thanks for that link, it's a little longer than I thought so I'm gonna go look it over.

0 Likes
monkespit

ive tried that, i read another post that talked about clearing the cache for gmaps, which i did and it worked, last night, while connected to my wireless network. this morning i turned the phone on and left wifi off and it went right back to india. i work almost 30 miles from my house and it says the same thing here as it did at home, so it's obviously some default thing. i just don't know why it would default to india, i can understand the wrong part of florida, but somewhere other than the US blows my mind when i have a working signal.

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

Try going to settings->my location and disable "Use wireless" and "Location(network)". This will force it to use only GPS.

If that doesn't work, systemically disable that one and try only the other options. See if you get better results.

I have all three checked and once I launch maps, my GPS icons turns on and my location is more or lessa accurate.

0 Likes
monkespit

ive tried all manner of possibilities my friend, it greys out the gps if you have location setting unchecked so that eliminates just gps by itself.  even the gps is hit or miss, mostly miss, but it has worked a few times when playin around, never when i wanted/needed it to. thanks for your input

0 Likes
KJRadz

My wife and I are also in Florida (Panama City) and are having location issues with android phones. GPS works fine but location provided from Verizon network is inncorrect. I've opened a ticket with their tech support and am awaiting a response.

0 Likes