Droid Eris not getting 2.2
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
I just ran across this article.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9186259/Update_No_Froyo_for_Droid_Eris_Verizon_confirms?sourc...

It looks like original supporters of Android are getting blown in the dust.

The phone is fully capable of running 2.2 and would benifit from it greatly.

This phone is less than 1 year old and they already stopped supporting it. This is Verizon's choice not HTC or Google. HTC already has beta code for an update, but Verizon said no. Get behind this, because you never know if your phone will be next.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Eris not getting 2.2
Joe_Evaristo
Contributor - Level 1

The part about HTC having code is actually not true--I'm not sure where you heard that, but this is HTC's decision, not Verizon's. HTC can still have Verizon update the phones if they wished: the July maintenance update, MR4, came out more than a month after Verizon stopped selling the Eris.

MR4 screwed up the Eris I'd owned, and after getting nowhere I filed a BBB complaint. The person in HTC's escalations department who called me in regards to the complaint, Danty, informed me that HTC had no intention of fixing any open bugs or providing further updates to the Eris whatsoever. HTC had already made this decision before the end of August, when I received that call.

If a manufacturer is willing to continue supporting their phones, Verizon isn't going to say no: it's in Verizon's interest to allow bug fixes to reach users because, in my experience, they do honestly care about the user experience. It's easy to blame Verizon because it's who we buy the phone from, and the first people we go to for support, but they're not the ones at fault for this mess. The blame falls solely on HTC.

If an HTC rep told you it was Verizon's decision, to be blunt, they lied to you. The last time I tried to get support I'm certain that while a couple reps were truly ignorant, at least one did flat out lie to me in an effort to make me go away. HTC is not a good company, and their BBB rating bears that out--they are currently rated an F. If this issue upsets you, you should be complaining to HTC--not Verizon.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Now I'm sad. Smiley Sad I wasn't expecting to get froyo but it would have been nice.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
@Joe

I don't know where you get your info.. but let me be blunt, you are wrong.

HTC has a beta 3 version for the eris, but it does not have verizon requirements (bloatware, blocked apps etc.)

So yes it is Verizons doing.
0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
If you read the article carefully, you can see right where the spokeswoman says "Screw you, buy a new phone." So I say, "I have Froyo on my Eris, you're gonna wait."
0 Likes
ronguinn

I too having an Eris for 4 months have learned that my phone is obsolete. I think that if Verizon is not going to support our phone they should at least allow us to upgrade to a phone that they do support.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
It's not that they won't "support" the phone, they just won't be providing any more os upgrades.
0 Likes
Re: Droid's Eris not getting 2.2
kb4wheelin

@bobt you don't find that to be ridiculous that they the largest cell phone provider is not gonna support a phone they cell to their customers with any more os upgrades these upgrades are essential to have to make the phone a smartphone. so basically we no longer have a smart phone we have a phone that is gonna be a paperweight here shortly. Don't you also find it ridiculous that this phone isant that old and older andriod phone got the 2.2 upgrade.  as a customer of verizon for the past 10 years i find this to be absolute garbage. this would be like microsoft saying that they aren't gonna release a upgrade for windows to a certain model of computer.  IF VERIZON ISANT GONNA RELEASE 2.2 FOR THE DROID ERIS THEN THEY SHOUD GIVE US CUSTOMERS A SALE PRICE ON A NEW PHONE

0 Likes
Re: Droid's Eris not getting 2.2
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
I do find it ridiculous that they won't provide the upgrade, but only because they say that the hardware can't handle it, which is not true. That being said, just because the Eris is stuck on 2.1 doesn't make it a paperweight. Except for some bugs that have popped up for a small portion of users, the phone works fine on 2.1. As far as your computer example goes, when a new version of windows is released, printed right on the box are minimum specs for that os, so yeah, they don't release upgrades for certain computer models. IF YOU THINK VERIZON IS GONNA GIVE YOU A DEAL ON A NEW PHONE JUST BECAUSE YOU BOUGHT THE LOW-END MODEL, YOU'RE LIVING IN A DREAM WORLD. (Hey, look, I can do that too). The reality is, the Eris was the low-end android phone in Verizon's lineup at the time and it was sold with no promises of an upgrade. If you are having issues that make it non-useable, then take it in and get it replaced, but don't expect a different phone and, next time, do some research before you make a sizeable purchase.
0 Likes
Joe_Evaristo
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry, Cobjones, but you're incorrect. Try reading my previous post again: I already explained where I got my info from...it was directly from HTC's Escalations Department, by the rep named Danty.

HTC decided to stop supporting the phone at the end of August. The decision to provide no further updates was theirs, not Verizon's.

0 Likes