Re: Droid Eris dropped in kool-laid
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Ok I had the Samsung Alias.  Long story short it spent the night in a mud puddle.  I called it several times in the morning from my wife's phone.  I could swear all night it was in my pocket so I never bothered.  The next morning I found it while we were leaving for work and my wife was calling it and it was still lighting up.  Needless to say unless you have the full warranty taking it back to the store is out of the question.  the 1.99 insurance is for manufacturers problems and doesn't cover getting it wet so I took the battery out and let it dry.  It worked for almost a year after that before finally the ear piece went out which may have been unrelated but could very well be from corrosion caused by sleeping with the tadpoles so to speak.  It can take up to 2 years for damage from getting wet to affect an electronic device.  It will almost definitely still work after you take the battery out and let it sit but the question is longevity.  Really the only way to guarantee it will still be good is to put it through the burn in process again and well unless you work at an electrical manufacturing facility and have good connections isn't likely for most of us. 

I guess what I am saying is it should be fine for about a year possibly even 2 but unless you have insurance (and with a phone this expensive you really should have the insurance) if you have a problem later even an unrelated problem you are out of luck.  Definitely use it as long as you can though.  it should last until the early upgrade if you are eligable.

0 Likes
Packet
Enthusiast - Level 3

FYI, when people talk about 'drinking the Android kool-aid,' they don't generally mean your Android phone should be the one doing the drinking. :smileywink:

More seriously, the sugar will probably really be what does you in.  If you didn't IMMEDIATELY pull out the battery, rinse both quickly with distilled water and then start the drying process, the sugar's probably pretty well set in there by now.  I'd start looking into whether your cellular insurance will cover a replacement. :smileysad:

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Packet wrote:

FYI, when people talk about 'drinking the Android kool-aid,' they don't generally mean your Android phone should be the one doing the drinking. :smileywink:

More seriously, the sugar will probably really be what does you in.  If you didn't IMMEDIATELY pull out the battery, rinse both quickly with distilled water and then start the drying process, the sugar's probably pretty well set in there by now.  I'd start looking into whether your cellular insurance will cover a replacement. :smileysad:

I would consider insurance on my phone but I think it is a waste of money. If I don't even damage the phone in any way then that would for sure be a waste of money. $5 each month (which I believe is the fee) adds up per month.

0 Likes
Trigger2

Rinse it with distilled water. Dry it to the touch, then put it in rice for a day. The rice will absorb the rest of the water, and should help. :smileywink:

Good luck.

0 Likes