Re: Droid DNA battery life after kit kat update cut in half
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

When I posted yesterday, the phone had been off of the charger for about 2 hours and my battery was at about 80%.

Here is a screen capture from my Power > History I just took. As you can see, its been unplugged a bit less then 3 hours, and I've barely used it.

Screenshot_2014-05-23-13-52-16.png

It doesn't seem how much or how little I do on it since the update- its dead in about 8 hours. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
nbond

I'm having the same problem since the update. My phone is already down to 40% after being off the charger for 5.5 hours and only 30 min of screen on time Smiley Sad.  I went through the list and even kept the phone in safe mode for a day but it made no difference.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

If it were me, I'd backup my critical photos, videos, music, or other downloaded files. I would copy down my settings for things like email. I would make sure my contacts were backed up to Google. I'd perform a Factory Data Reset to see if that cleared the problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're having issues with your battery stef7. Have you tried to perform a factory reset on your device?

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

KinguanaH, I'm not the one experiencing battery issues.

0 Likes
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am the original poster in this thread, and a factory reset was one of the first things I'd done. Oddly enough, and I've used my phone quite a bit so far today, I still have 43% charge after a bit over 10 hours. I don't know what has changed, I surely haven't changed anything since my last posting on that, but battery seems to be suddenly back how it was before the update. I wish I had an answer for those who are having the same issue, but I'm honestly clueless as to why I still have charge whereas a week ago my battery would be down to about 10% at this point.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Well, I'm theorizing if you didn't do anything else, what the device is doing is refining it's estimation model of remaining charge based on actual run time... You should following an update go through about three charge cycles so the phone can model the battery current and terminal voltage so the % remaining is more accurately displayed...

0 Likes
nbond

Just factory reset today...we'll see how that works

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

They say in general, a Lithium battery is going to do better long-term if you don't discharge it all the way before recharging... and I think that's good advice to follow. However, in my mind, to get the most accurate % remaining possible, you have to do that sort of thing a few times when the phone is new, or just after doing a factory reset or the estimate is going to have more error.

YMMV.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I meant to add, at least until the % remaining is very low - maybe single digits. I don't think you need to go until it shuts down.

0 Likes