Droid DNA battery life after kit kat update cut in half
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since the kit kat update,  my battery has gone from lasting about 13 hours to barely 7. If I am actually using the phone heavily it's less.  If I look under usage, Android system is shown at 76% with Facebook being next highest at 6%. I haven't installed any new apps since well before the update.

I'm also experiencing a very long delay in opening sms messages- about 45 seconds, with considerable delay in sending as well.

Any help here? I use my phone almost exclusively for texting and Facebook messaging, as well as taking pictures/using Instagram.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid DNA battery life after kit kat update cut in half
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

I ended up doing a factory reset yesterday afternoon, which immediately cured my SMS freezing issues. I also took the time to decide which apps I really need and use on my phone, versus those I really only use on my tablet. The battery life appears to be back to normal, though I haven't run it a full day yet after the reset. As it is now, I am down 16% after 2:40, which before the reset would have been about 20% to 25%. I'll pop back in if the battery life is still terrible, but I think things are probably good now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello inkdork, let's get your phone working in top notch shape! First, we will check these settings & display for batter life: http://vz.to/1g8Ij5U Also, the next step will be to run the phone in safe mode for 24 hours to see if battery life & freezing changes: http://vz.to/Suc4dI Keep us posted!

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

In response to the list of items in the first link, I've verified the device is undamaged, and I am using the replacement charger sold to me in the Verizon store. My original charger cord came apart within a few weeks of getting the phone.

I've done a soft reset several times in the last few weeks. Doesn't seem to make a difference. Software is up to date which is where my issue seems to be coming form.

I'm still using the phone in the same manner as I was before the problem occurred. I've removed or disabled any apps I do not use only a few weeks ago. I have put the phone into safe mode as of this morning, so will see if the battery drains as quickly with with almost everything disabled.

The phone is generally connected to wifi within our home and always has a strong signal. Display settings are set for the display to sleep after 30 seconds, I am not using live wallpaper, and my brightness is set at about 75%.

GPS is turned off.

I'm not sure what my syncing settings are set at, but they have not changed save for one item that was altered when the latest update rolled out. After the update, Google offered me an auto-back-up service for my photos and videos (uploading them to my Google account) which I turned on. I've turned this off for now. Otherwise my settings for push/pull are unchanged.

I don't stream audio or video from my phone with any frequency (less then once a week). I have not yet done a device reset. Hoping to hold off on that if possible.

Even in safe mode, there is still an extremely long delay in accessing my SMS messages. That has not changed. I will update more at the end of the evening or tomorrow.

0 Likes
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

I ended up doing a factory reset yesterday afternoon, which immediately cured my SMS freezing issues. I also took the time to decide which apps I really need and use on my phone, versus those I really only use on my tablet. The battery life appears to be back to normal, though I haven't run it a full day yet after the reset. As it is now, I am down 16% after 2:40, which before the reset would have been about 20% to 25%. I'll pop back in if the battery life is still terrible, but I think things are probably good now.

0 Likes
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally getting to get a full day in and see how far the charge really goes. Battery life is still lousy. I took it off the charger this morning- been off for 8.5 hours. It was fully charged when I unplugged it and not the charge is down to 10%. Its definitely not going to make it to dinner.

Any suggestions? I'd like to not have to plug in at lunchtime every day.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for this update, inkdork. with regards to the battery life issues, have you tried setting your birghtness to Auto? I have the same device as well and have noticed that my battery life does improve with it set to auto. Not dramatic, but it does make a difference. Have you noticed with the master reset, is android system still using the most battery?

NicandroN_VZW

0 Likes
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

Brightness is set to auto now, though now sure I'll like it. Its awfully dim.

After recharging it this afternoon and having it off for a few hours, my battery consumption is 81% system, followed by 10% words with friends.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

In other posts, people indicated that backing up stuff to VZW Cloud was a source of battery usage. I've disabled that on my phone.

Also, people recommend changing Location setting to Battery saving, and only changing it to Accurate if they need to use GPS / Google Maps / Navigation.

Another thing you might try, as has been reported in other posts on the site here, is going into Tethering and network settings, and Mobile Network, and changing from Global to LTE/CDMA.

It's been recommended you change Screen Brightness to Auto - boy, I don't want to go against the recommendation, but you might want to try a fixed level of 45-55%. Indoors, it will probably be plenty, but outside, it might be tough. I'd also set the Display settng / Screen Timeout to 1 min.

Another thing to look at is if you are using email other than GMAIL, changing the polling frequency for incoming mail.

HTH

0 Likes
inkdork
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Stef

I've checked those settings, and aside from changing the one from Global to

LTE, all other settings were already in place as suggested, and I don't

even have the Cloud application.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

inkdork

Thanks for those details! I'm interested to find out how much of the battery charge was actually left at this time. For example, When you took the reading of 81% system and 10% Words With Friends, how much battery life was left on your device? It is common for the system to be the highest user of your battery. Can you check your Settings, Power, History for me please? This will show you how often your screen is awake and how it's affecting your battery along with charging details, wifi, etc.

RuthW_VZW

0 Likes