Droid Charge -- Screen goes black sometimes during a call, won't come back on
Hoggles

Sometimes during a call (shortly after starting) the screen goes black and won't come back on.

I have no way to enter pad numbers, much less hang up.  I must reset the phone holding down the on/off button for 10s.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Charge -- Screen goes black sometimes during a call, won't come back on
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing, Hoggles. We're here to help out with your Droid Charge. With regards to your phone's screen going dark, do you notice if it does this even in a well lit room? Any difference if you set your phone down momentarily? (This is to test out sensors the device uses.

Try this, please gp to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>ALL>Phone>Clear Cache & Data. Any difference with that feature after wiping that service?

0 Likes
Re: Droid Charge -- Screen goes black sometimes during a call, won't come back on
Hoggles

Ok I think I have solved it.  The Otter case is interfering with the light sensor.

However, when I remove the case and put my thumb over the light sensor, the screen goes black.

It doesn't go "very dark" as if it were adjusting for a pitch black room (my thumb over the light sensor).  It's completely off even if I cover the screen with my hand and peek at it.

Therefore there is a bug with the screen adjustment software that makes the screen 100% dark, or shuts it off, if the light sensor is blocked.

I noticed the "case" issue on a different thread with the same problem.  Please do not call it a case problem.  Call it a bug in how the light sensor is handled.  The screen should never go dark during a phone call, even if the power is almost dead (dim maybe, not dark.)  There will be no updates to my software because Verizon/Google has stopped updating 2.6.3 for Droid Charge apparently.

No, clearing the cache doesn't solve anything.  By the way, the other thread mentions turning off Call settings, then uncheck “Auto screen off during calls”

anyone haveing trouble with the screen going black during a call

but this option is not present on my phone.  It would have been nice.

0 Likes