Droid 4 keeps shutting off in middle of use?
Gmc7587

For the past two days now my phone in mid use will just go black screen. Try using the top power button and nothing open it up the the keyboard and nothing. I hold the top power button in for 5 seconds and the phone powers on from a reboot. Then anywhere from 5 minutes to 45mins it will do same thing I'll be in Mid-text or reading a article on the internet and just shuts down again. I did a factory reset to try and help this problem. The factory reset did not help it still keeps doing the same thing. Is there anything else I can do to fix this problem or do I need to just get a new phone? Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

Side note:
The phone first did this at 20% battery life. I put it on the charger it started to charge, then turned it self off in the black screen blue battery charging mode, turned it back on to regular phone mode and got the charge to 80% then reboot the phone and it said charged. I knew it couldn't be full charged from 80% one second and then go right to charged. But it has been resetting it self every time I use the phone text or web or once during a phone call.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid 4 keeps shutting off in middle of use?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I, too, have the Droid 4 and have experienced the random shut downs, tho not as frequently as you seem to be experiencing it.  You said you did a factory reset - another option to try (that seems to help mine) is a system cache clear...

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously to go into system recovery

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

It also may be a rogue app or a conflict with an app.  Have you recently installed a new app?  If so, try removing it ans see if that improves things.

How long have you had the phone?  Is it still within the one year manufacturer's warranty?

0 Likes
Gmc7587

Dear SuzyQ,

The shut downs got more frequent. I tried what you said but it only lasted 2 minutes before it shut down again.
The first factory reset I did I did put back on some of the apps I had, but after it messed up again after that, I read online that it could be the apps, so I factory reset it with formatting the internal save space. still after 2 minutes it would just shut down. So waited and seen what you said tried it all again and nothing. I have read online it has something to do with Motorola not working properly with the new update on some forums. So I guess it could be that.
  I've had the Droid 4 model since last June. But had two taken back due to software malfunctions. One had a frozen screen that would not come undone they just replaced it in the store. and the other one they just gave me a new one cause the screen kept going weird colors. That screen one just happened in January. So I've had this new phone since then. I took it to the store and they are replacing this phone, but it is on back order so they said they might just give me a free exchange for a new phone. Thank you for your help though, it is appreciated. 
  Also if you or anyone out there is reading this wondering what I used the phone on daily basis was mostly Netflix, weather bug app and surfing the internet and texting. Nothing really more to it. the games I did play on it were deleted after use. and system cache cleared.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

What OS or version of JB are you running on the Droid 4?  I only had mine a couple of weeks, if that, before ICS got updated to JB, and except for the occasional random shutdown, it seems to run pretty smoothly.  I don't use Netfllix, I do use weather bug, do a ton of email of several different accounts, I use Evernote and Dropbox, Google +, play a few games (solitaire, Words with Friends, etc) do some Facebook and web surfing.  I'm learning to do more as I explore the capabilities of the phone and the Android OS.

Is the replacement phone going to be another Droid 4 or a different model altogether?

0 Likes
Gmc7587

Dear SuzyQ,

Sorry for delay in response, but to answer your questions my phone was up to date with system updates. I believe it was 4.1? I checked the system up date and it did say it was up to date before I took it in. I did have a problem after updating it. But a factory reset fixed that issue when that happened back in March 2013. Yeah the phone is a solid phone for what I use it for. I have had only three software issues with the phones in the past and one dropped phone. Once was watching netflix on it and then it turned into a red screen then went to a MS DOS mode and said "Error ???" with 3 numbers I forget but it wouldn't respond to anything, even Verizon customer service tech was like yeah we will give you a new phone it wouldn't shut off or nothing had to wait till battery died. Second time was using it and screen actually went all different colors (pink white green red, and I didnt drop it.) and stayed that way. even after I turned phone off and back on screen would stay the same once on. Third time was this time when the phone just kept randomly shutting off.
  Yes I recieved the replacement phone and it works flawlessly like all the other Droid 4's I've had. So far second day having it and its giving me no problems, although I'm worried about putting a Yahoo mail app on it and weather bug, It still runs perfectly.  
   Thanks again for all your help and concern. If you ever find out why the Droid 4 would do the random shutting down I'd more then glade to know. Have a nice day.

~Gmc

0 Likes