Droid 4 S L O W after recent update
judyn

I used to love my Droid 4, but I allowed it to update in December, I think it was.  Since then it has been like a completely different phone.  It is SO sluggish.  It also gets hot when charging.  It is almost unusable.  After a reboot it works a bit better for a short period.  There is plenty of space on the internal card and the the external card. 

It reports it's at Android 4.1.2 Build number 9.8.20-72_VZW-18-9  Build date Thur Nov 21

I have MANY apps on it and hate to think of trying to rebuild it. (Boy I wish Android had a REAL backup without rooting the device.  I rebuilt my WIndows Mobile phone several times.)  Yes, I know the apps (or most of them) are at google, but the layout of my widgets and icons and my data and configuring everything and setting up syncs and and and is just overwhelming.  Maybe I'll just use my phone as a phone and use my tablet for what I've been using my phone for...

I would consider a new phone, but I have unlimited data so I need to keep this phone... Besides, I used to love this phone.   I looked into Verizon's new "more" plan but they would cost me much more per month for much less of what I want. 

Does anyone else have the same experience with this update?  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get back to the phone I once enjoyed?

Judy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid 4 S L O W after recent update
droidoc

I completely agree with judyn's post.  My Motorola Droid 4 has been painfully slow after the most-recent firmware update pushed out by Verizon Wireless.  Like judyn, my Droid4 is running Android 4.1.2, with build number: 9.8.20-72_VZW-18-9.

I have already cleared the cache partition (after booting up in recovery mode).  That didn't seem to make much of a difference.  The only thing left to try is to reformat the phone back via factory reset, but I really don't want to spend hours re-installing my apps and restoring my settings.

Verizon, what was the purpose of pushing out a firmware upgrade that essentially crippled my phone?  Are you trying to get me to buy a new one, and sign up for a new 2-year contract?  If so, forget it.  I would rather switch carriers (after being a paying customer for 13 years) than put up with your bloated phones and contracts much longer.

0 Likes
Re: Droid 4 S L O W after recent update
MartinR

Yeah, my phone's been completely unbearable since the update.  It continuously hangs and freezes with apps becoming locking and becoming unresponsive.  It's been months since I've gotten the screen to turn on fast enough to answer a phone call because it gets so confused trying to deal with an incoming call.  I generally hate to jump straight to conspiracy theory side of things, but it's pretty frustrating.  I'm also not going to upgrade as long as I can keep my unlimited data and I have zero interest in a keyboard-less phone anyway.  Unless Verizon can patch up the Droid 4's broken ROM or at least somehow allow for rolling it back to what worked fine, this is probably the final nail in the coffin for staying with Verizon.

0 Likes