Re: Droid 3, will it get ICS [AKA 4.x or Ice Cream Sandwich] and When?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

The press release (or whatever) also says that other devices may be added to the list.  The D3 was never stated as not getting ICS, it just hasn't been confirmed as getting it.

0 Likes
NeoPhoenixTE

Just wanted to point out one thing about that linked topic: That list posted only shows the 4G LTE phones. The Droid 3 isn't a 4G LTE phone, so there's no way it would've made that list from the get-go. Just figured I'd point that out. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That list of phones scheduled to get the ICS update include the HTC Rhyme and the HTC Droid Incredible 2. Both phones are 3G only smartphones. So the list includes 4G and 3G devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

apotheosis415 wrote:

If a port of ICS minus camera, can be rooted to work on a D1, which has lower specs then the D3...how does the reasoning, if it is, the lack of memory?

This has been a similar argument when users wanted Sense 3.5 on the Thunderbolt and other HTC devices that came with 2.1 as stock..  Usually when a developer ports a feature they are still running the original stock OS with a modified version of the feature that they sometimes strips options or reconfigured the options to be able to optimized for a device with less performance and they never really run 100% stable so this is a bad comparison.

0 Likes
sphrrt

The D3 is now listed on Moto's upgrade list as "staying on 2.3". Pretty darn weak sauce for a dual processor phone that was only out for a few months before ICS was released...feel pretty ripped off from Moto and Verizon for how poorly this device has been supported, very lame effort for what could have been a great device.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

It's starting to look more and more like Verizon will not be updating any 3G phone.  Not surprising really, as they are not even selling them anymore.

Wildman
Legend

It appears that its not Verizons decision but Motorola not to release it for a number of their device...  Read my post from https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/773933 that covers this subject and reported Motorolas views on this subject.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Could still be Verizon's decision, but at this point, I don't think it matters.  They basically all but confirmed that the D3 will not receive ICS, and if you want it, you will have to take matters into your own hands.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Demmo i think Motorola all but confirmed that No Motorola's will Get it or Get it Soon.. But Wait a Min.   We got all of Next Week Heck we May get it or they Just might Skip it & Forget the Phones they Currently have all together. An come out with One that has it on it. I'm making Light on this i know Demmo But This is Making my Hairs that are Red Glow even More Redder..b33

0 Likes
Kirin
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree with sphrrt, it is cruddy, lame, weak sauce. Since the carrier isn't selling the device any longer, it's not worth the update? Anyway… I doubt Motorola will reconsider their decision on leaving us on Gingerbread.

0 Likes