Droid 3, will it get ICS [AKA 4.x or Ice Cream Sandwich] and When?
egadgetguy

Asking officially about ICS for the droid 3. Also, why is there no discussion area for the droid 3?

One post on A|C suggests the D3 will or is capable.

http://www.androidcentral.com/will-my-phone-get-ice-cream-sandwich

I actually went ahead and bought the D3 Nov 1st because I was given to understand it would get ICS but I need to confirm it if possible.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid 3, will it get ICS [AKA 4.x or Ice Cream Sandwich] and When?
Wildman
Legend

This is how I came to learn how things works, rumors dont mean anything until Verizon or the Manufacture of the device release a offical notice...  I would say not to get your hope up until you see updates being push officially because even if it was reported dont always mean it happens..

I know that probally isnt what you want to hear but this is how things basically works when it comes to updates...  They come when they come.

If At All...

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

The most important thing I have learned in my time following the forums here and a couple Android news sites is: don't ever buy a device expecting an update.  If you are not satisfied with the device as is, pick a different one.  As Wildman stated, don't believe update rumors until it's actually being pushed.  Even if an "official" update is leaked, it doesn't mean that it will actually be approved for release.

0 Likes
apotheosis415
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon announces today NO ICS for the D3. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! PHONE ISN'T EVEN A YEAR OLD!!!! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

ICS WAS ANNOUNCED BEFORE the D3!!!

This is ridiculous. I am an AV technician who gets android phones to get updates to OS and be cutting edge with customization. Yet you release a D4, then NO updates for the D3?!?! A droid 1 is running an ICS rom. I have seen it with my eyes!! YOU cannot tell me that the D3 cannot run ICS.

Unreal.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You know...  Verizon didn't announce if it was or was not getting it.

Here's SOMETHING to consider...  Verizon is NOT a manufacturer of the devices.  Motorola has to modify Android to work on their devices before anything can be done.  Motorola has put up their update schedule and they have put nothing for the Droid 3.  You need to bring it up with Motorola first.  Verizon can't do a thing until AFTER Motorola does something.

If you are an AV tech and such YOU should know this...

0 Likes
apotheosis415
Enthusiast - Level 2

First off I do know this. Moto had it in the "seeing if its possible stage".

If Verizon AINT pushing it, then that pretty much means that Moto WONT work on it further. Right?

If a port of ICS minus camera, can be rooted to work on a D1, wich has lower specs then the D3...how does the reasoning, if it is, the lack of memory?

So if Verizon didn't then what is this?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/201431-verizon-announces-list-devices-receive-ice-cream-...

0 Likes
Droid 3, will it get ICS [AKA 4.x or Ice Cream Sandwich] and When?
Tidbits
Legend

Incorrect.  They go by what manufacturers are doing and relay what they read.  So manufacturers told Verizon we are updating these devices first, and Verizon relayed the message.  So if Motorola said nothing about the Droid 3, and Verizon does then Motorola says "We will not be updating the Droid 3" who gets in trouble? Verizon... 

The D1 has ICS, but not everything is ported over and can't be ported over...  So it's not a 100% ICS.  It still uses an old kernel and old drivers from 2.2 as well. 

0 Likes
apotheosis415
Enthusiast - Level 2

They only have the camera missing. Not too much there hoss.

The list posted by moto a week or so ago, before this one, had it listed as being 'in the looking into it phase.' Or whatever words they used. So if Moto says, in trial, then why not say that? Its in trials. But by saying NOT ON THE LIST, how do they expect people to react? PR should have seen that FAR before posting this. ESP with all the android sites complaining about fragmenting OS's over tons of devices. I mean HELLO! PR hello?!?!

Verizon does not give a rats ass. As far as they are concerned they get another device to overprice and sell. Before the D 5 comes out July '12

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

cry all you want...  I am done with this thread...  This stuff is silly and pointless as people rather complain to what's closer and convenient and won't do it the right way.

Verizon does NOT make the Droid 3.  They can only relay the information give to them by the manufacturers.  If Motorola does nothing then Verizon can't do a thing.  Verizon is a cell service provider not a software company.

Now take it up with Motorola first to say they'll support their product and actually work on and release the code.  Then if Verizon doesn't pass the buck then you would have a valid complaint...

Later...

0 Likes
apotheosis415
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know Verizon doesn't make the D3 you tool. Do you read the posts or just jump to the end to regurgitate your previous comments? Trust me IM all over the moto forums. >Edited to comply with TOS. Apotheosis415, end the name calling<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes