Re: Droid 3 Battery Life issues
jroal
Contributor - Level 2

I had this problem when I first got my Droid 3.  It would keep my pocket warm and kill the battery before lunch time.  I also went through 8GB of data in a month.  Normally I use much less than 2GB/mo.  I did a factory reset (settings > privacy > factory data reset) on the device and it was much better.  I also installed the Motorola extended battery.  The one for the Droid 3 is very nice and does not have the huge bulge in the cover as many others do.  After the reset and the extended battery I could make it a day on a charge.  I may have 20% left with light use after 15 hours.  It was fine for a few months then it did it again.  I did another factory reset and it returned to "normal".   I would highly recommend the Motorola extended battery.  Worth every perry with virtually no downside.  I will also note that I tried an Anker HUGE extended battery.  It added about 1/4" bulge to the device and it was heavy.  It actually performed no better than the Motorola extended battery.  Lesson learned, aftermarket batteries are not so good.  Stick with the device makers batteries.

After the 2nd reset I gained access and removed many unwanted apps from the device (still using the stock ROM).  Now I can go 16 hours or more and still have 50% battery with light to moderate use.  It does much better than most smartphones (except Razr Maxx or those with large extended batteries).  Honestly I did not expect such an improvement.

0 Likes
jroal
Contributor - Level 2

Has anyone tried one of these?  I tried an Anker 2800mAh it is is not so good.  It was huge and heavy but did not really perform much better that the Motorola BF6X extended battery.  Maybe Mugen Power is better.  I got the Anker off eBay cheap.  I suppose I got what I paid for.

0 Likes
showtime

Not to sound like a commercial but if it works I share it.

I was having issues with my battery life until I installed a free app called Battery Defender found in the Play Store. It turns off your data stream and other running apps when your screen goes black saving your battery for when you need it the most.

I've gone over 10 hours today and only used 20% of my battery. That's with the Bluetooth connected.

Droid 3 with the extended battery BF6X

0 Likes
RC_user

For those still stuck with this battery hog, the issues continue.  After replacing my extended battery some time ago, I started encountering really poor battery life again about a month or two ago.  I replaced my D3 under the extended warranty coverage a couple of weeks ago after no longer being able to live with lack of battery life.  No change whatsoever.  Yesterday I went into the VzW store and was told that there is no other alternative, basically, live with it.  I walked out of the store ready to take the business for my 4 phones to another provider.  It was the worst customer service I have ever experienced from any provider.  I have just installed Battery Defender, we'll see if that helps, and I'll probably try a reset.  By the way, not a power user, 30 minutes max talk time, touchdown for corporate Email and no GPS. 

Droid 3 with the extended battery BF6X

0 Likes